• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Run your cigars under tap water...??

BlindedByScience

Proud Father of a Kearney, NE LEO
We got through our cold snap....low 20's for several nights in a row. I know that's not all that cold for some of the folks, but here it's pretty dang cold. Out with a nice cigar, and in that weather the wrapper basically 'blew up' and I was rewarded with a ruined cigar. Reminded me that one trick for smoking when it's really cold, is to cut the cigar then quickly run it under tap water, wetting the wrapper all the way around. Not the head or foot, just the wrapper. No, I'm not kidding. Doesn't affect the smoke enough to notice, but the wrapper will stay in one piece and you'll enjoy your smoke far better. Works great.

I can’t remember who it was. I think jfields. I had a fancy cigar that was older and he told me the outer wrapper of a certain type can be very brittle over longer periods. that is exactly what he told me, to run it under water briefly. Had no issues with the smoke after that.

I can’t remember who it was. I think jfields. I had a fancy cigar that was older and he told me the outer wrapper of a certain type can be very brittle over longer periods. that is exactly what he told me, to run it under water briefly. Had no issues with the smoke after that.

Yes, that was John. I remember that conversation.

We got through our cold snap....low 20's for several nights in a row. I know that's not all that cold for some of the folks, but here it's pretty dang cold. Out with a nice cigar, and in that weather the wrapper basically 'blew up' and I was rewarded with a ruined cigar. Reminded me that one trick for smoking when it's really cold, is to cut the cigar then quickly run it under tap water, wetting the wrapper all the way around. Not the head or foot, just the wrapper. No, I'm not kidding. Doesn't affect the smoke enough to notice, but the wrapper will stay in one piece and you'll enjoy your smoke far better. Works great.
A good piece of info from the CigarPass Archives! I read about this trick on here almost a decade ago, I believe!

I was just going to say I think I remember reading this 10 or 12 years ago. Back when we used to discuss everything to death and then argue it:)

Now that things have warmed up, and since I've been keeping a ~62% 'dry' box things are better, to be sure. Wyatt, just for you, I'll get you a video.
@BlindedByScience Tom, I did this years ago and I tried doing it prior to snipping the head to avoid getting any water inside the cigar. It worked great but I had to very carefully cut it with a razor sharp knife to avoid tearing and pulling the head with a cutter.

I just held it at an angle with the foot up and got the faucet running gently and spun the cigar once under the running water, then wiped it off.

Well, first read for me, but that's why I'm here, to learn. Two weeks ago with our freeze I wish I would have know this, but we learn. Thank you Tom for re-sharing this pearl ( and give Cleo a scratch for me ).

Last edited: