• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

RyJ Ex 3 tastes flat

texasaero

Cooler Troll
Has anyone tried a RyJ Ex 3 and found it VERY flat and smelling like burnt newspapers. Construction was well done. Hard when squeezed. Color was brown-grey. Smoke was creamy and volminuous. With an aroma of a newpaper fire. But the taste is just unwelcomed paper smells and foul. Severe tannic-acidic taste that overwhelms all the beverages I had at my diposal. Cognac, Port, and even I dare say Mountain Dew. Can someone convince me that this is a quirk of the RyJ brand. My poor choice of beverage? This is the second stick I've tried.

Yep, I generally do not care for RyJ's for that reason, they are bland. So are Hoyos ;)

Hmm, while taste IS subjective (and opinions are our own), I'd say the RyJ line is FAR from bland...

Tex, how old are the Ex3s you've tried?

I had a couple RyJ's from 1999 and they seemed kind of bland to me too...

Bruce

I have some R&J #3's from 1998 that are far from flat. Older Hoyos are full and robust, especially the Des Dieux.

Opusxtasy

I have never had a #3 but you should try an Ex. #4 with some age on it....I have smoked alot of these with never a disappointment. And I do find them to go well with a bottle of Fonseca Bin #27 Port or Bambay and tonic.