• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sage Poached Salmon

Macion Grey

the Libertine
I am the cook of the household. Not by delegation, but by love of cooking.

Here is one of my favourite ways to poach salmon. (meats like chicken and salmon, as well as eggs, are perfect poached.) Light and perfect for hot months.

Bear with me, as I am unused to converting my cooking to recipies.

You need.

2 Skinless salmon fillets, fairly thick.
3 fresh sage leaves
1 cup of white wine
1 1/2 cup of chicken or vegetable stock
Splash of white wine vinegar
Some salt and pepper.
Dried Dill.
Lemon.

Either a fresh salad, or 1 1/2 cups of basmati rice to go along side. Simple is best for accompaniment.

In a saucepan, combine the Stock, Wine, Vinegar, Sage and the salt and pepper. Simmer and Reduce to about half the original volume to ensure flavours intensify. A strong poaching solution ensures a flavourful fillet.

Add both fillets and make sure heat is turned right down. Leave lid on and poach for about 8 minutes, less if you enjoy a softer fillet. I like about 6.

Plate up with either a bed of salad or rice. Transfer fillet straight to plate after poaching, and sprinkle with dill. Place 1/2 a lemon on the plate.

Try not to complicate this dish with heavy sauces etc. It is meant to be a light, soft and buttery fillet with clean, fresh flavour. If you would like to experiment with poaching salmon to go with a sauce etc, simply poach in chicken/veg stock and go from there.

A lot of people have trouble cooking salmon. This is an easy, blissfully tasty way to enjoy the flavours without the harshness of a pan sear, or the dryness of the oven.

Eat alfresco with a semi-sweet wine, or just with some water.