• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Saint Louis Rey Lonsdale....

SKYDIVNEKD

Call me "Walt Kowalski"
I've heard/read good things about these and am looking into buying abox of 50 from 1998. The price ain't bad either.

Anyone have experience with these? Your thoughts are appreciated.

SKYDIVNEKD :sign:

PS: I am referring to the ISOM SLR. :D

Ask Kenny, he seems to be the resident SLR afficiando ;)

I've only had one of the lonsdales and I believe I liked it.....haha! :) I was about halfway into a bottle of rum when it was gifted to me. I don't remember its age but I do remember liking it a lot. I have DC's, Churchills, Serie A, and PC's on hand and all are good. My problem has always been hiding them from myself so they can get some age on them. :D

There was a thread on CF a while back about the SLR Lonsdale..... here are a few posts from that thread:

"The 1997 in cabinet selection is my everyday smoke. They really are the best lonsdale that I've had in years and the blend is perfectly balanced and complex. I can't think of any other lonsdale that even comes close."

"I've had the pleasure of smoking SLR's for quite some time. IMHO this brand was one of the least effected by the cigar boom and the QC issues that were, and continue to be so prevalent. With that said I believe the SLR Lonsdale is a classic Habano. They have the very complex SLR earth and sweet spice. I feel the cabs are better smokes, and I've smoked more than my fair share of the SPB version."

"Great smoke, very very complex for such a medium bodied cigar! Near perfect construction if from a cab, but the box I'm on now are as ususal a bit less in the perfect burn area. IMHO this is one of the finest smokes available for this or any other price. The good news is they are very affordable!"

Very nice lonsdale sized smoke. They age very well.

Sorry but the newbie (that's me) differs on this one. The SLR Lonsdales just don't have the kick of a Habana brand. I have tried though. I have tried on two continents. But they always disappoint. Not bad, just pedestrian. YMMV

Welcome Deak to CP..... Always nice to have another Texan around here. (I think we have em out numbered and can take over the board anytime we want :p )

I agree with you that it doesn't have a kick..... I'm assuming you're refering to it being a strong smoke. My experience with the brand (not the Lonsdale) has been a very pleasing Med strenth cigar. Not much on complexity but the flavor, to me, is one of the best out there. Matt mentioned that they age well and I'd agree with that. I know the few PC's I have left from 97 are like stealing the virginity from a 18 yr old.... pure heaven. At least thats what I've been told about them 18 yr olds :lookup:

Depends on what year SLR we are talking about as far as strength and complexity. The older they are the better, IMHO. I have some Prominantes that are the best big cigars I have ever smoked and I'm not exaggerating in the least. Better than early 90's HdM DCs, Lusitanias, etc. The '97 SLR pcs I had from our friend in the Netherlands were some of the nicest petite coronas that have been offered recently.

Ahhhhhhhh........... 98 was a good year. :p :thumbs:

Thanks Sleepy! :)

I had a couple of the 97 Cab and they rocked! Sorry but haven't tried the 98... but if it's anything like the 97 they should be great!

Aloha,

Wade