• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Saint Luis Rey Churchill

Mike33

I picked this box up recently thanks to a fantastic sale. This particular cigar from '99 is a good example of some of the bargins that can be had for certain boxes in the 99-01 time period. Not fantastic, but a very good cigar nonetheless.

The wrapper is fairly pale and dull with no visible oils on the wrapper. The bunch is solid at the foot and construction feels good down the length of the cigar. I clipped the cap and took a test draw and it was on the firm side. Smell at cold was barnyard and slight mustiness.

PC180391.jpg

Initial light revels a perfect draw with plentiful smoke. The cigar comes to life right out of the gate and has a fantastic, almost floral aroma to it. Initial impressions are that of strong leather, hay, and even some light cedar to it. The woodiness become more prevelant as the cigar smokes, while the leather subsided after the first third. Marc was having one at the same time and noted the floral notes to it, but I would describe mine as having a more vegetal profile. The SLR is more earthy than other examples I have tried in the brand, but it is fairly similar to the DC imo. It is decidely medium-bodied and very smooth. No harshness or abrupt changes in the flavor profile at all. Towards the end, the woodiness becomes powerful and it takes on a subtle creaminess as well.

Overall: Like I said, a very good, solid cigar. I would rate it a 90, and I imagine it will not benefit very much, if at all, from more aging. While I don't think it is in any danger from expiring in the next couple of years, I think these are pretty close to their peak. Overall, the cigar reminds me why I like the SLR marca: it is rustic, but not overly uncivilized.

PC180392.jpg

PC180394.jpg

We went through about 12-14 of these in Fla in 4 days of golf.

4-5 were tight...with one being unsmokeable - of the other 3-4...2 were cliped at the band and smoked great.
The rest...VERY VERY NICE SMOKE!

Nice review. I love that barnyard, mustiness aroma and taste but I guess, in my limited experience with this region, that I normally associate those characteristics with young cigars, which this is not. Sounds very interesting and a very worthwhile smoke.

Thanks for the review. I've had some '98s and they were quite good...just as you described.