• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sake recommendations

lbrief

I would like a recommendation for a “good” intro to Sake.

Here’s what I mean by “intro”. If someone had never tried bourbon before, I wouldn’t recommend they start with Booker’s or Blanton’s because if they decide they don’t like bourbon, they will have wasted $45. On the flip side, I wouldn’t recommend anything off the bottom shelf because they will get a bad first impression of the sprit. I’d probably recommend Jim Beam black label as a good intro.

So that’s what I’m looking to find, the JB Black of the Sake world. Any thoughts?

There's a pretty common American made Sake line made by Momokawa named after various gemstones/precious metals.

They're good enough quality to tell if you'll like sake, without having to learn Japanese and track down the rare, famous brands.

At ~$10/bottle you should be able to pick up a couple of the different sakes from the line to see what you'll like. If you only want to buy one, go for the Momokawa "Diamond" to experience the typical modern "Junmai Ginjo" style

Thank you for the recommendation. I also asked some friends (on Wednesday before seeing your post) and one had the exact same recommendation (Momokawa Diamond).
I’m going to try to pick some up this weekend.

mmmmm.... Sake.... aaaahaghghhghahahahah......

pizza.gif

I do have a few Sake's at home but cannot remember the names of any of them. I did get a very nice Sake from our family that was visiting from Japan a few months ago, Sumo Sake is what they called it but I can check the name later.

Good luck!

:cool: