• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Salt Test Observations

dukebox_1st

Hi all,

I bought my first humidor yesterday, a 50 cigar humidor finished in Cherrywood. I'm attempting to setup the hydrometer using the salt method. I have done the test 3 times, twice for 3 1/2hrs which I then adjusted the hydrometer after and once for 12hrs. The first two tests saw the humidity rise to 80% according to the hydrometer after about an hour and then slowly drop back to around 69/70% at the end of the test (3 1/2hrs). I adjusted the hydrometer to 75% and then proceeded with the third test. This time the hydrometer showed 82% after an hour, around 78% after 3 1/2hrs and now after 12hrs it reads 75%. Is this accurate enough test to backup the hydrometers readings? Does it take longer then 3hrs to stabilise the reading using the salt method in a small Tupperware?

I'm stabilising the humidor while I’m doing the tests so there is no time lost. In the humidor I have left the filled humidity element and a 1/2 filled shot glass of humidor solution for the past 18hrs. I'm away for a week tomorrow so I may leave it the full week to stabilise. Is this worthwhile to do, or should 36/48hrs should be enough for this smaller sized humidor?

Also does anyone know of a UK supply of small amounts of Spanish Cedar? I'd like to make another divider to keep my cigarillos however couldn't find any stockists yesterday when I looked.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

The salt test needs to sit for at least 12 hours, some folks say leave it alone for 24 hours. :)

Last time I bought a digital hygro, I bagged the three of mine and let them sit overnight. I've found that overnight (at least 12 hours) is required for things to "settle down" so the salt / H2O can produce the proper RH.

BTW - my three came from Little Havana and they all tested right on the money after 12 hrs....I should have taken a pic of all three of 'em showing "75%"..... :thumbs: I've talked to the owner and at the time we talked, he told me they do 100% incoming QC on the hygros they sell. IMHO - for $18.00 plus shipping, you can't go wrong.

Cheers - B.B.S.

Thank for all the advice guys, it read 75% at the 20hr mark so i took it out and placed it in the humidor. The humidor (after about 30hrs stabalising with a 1/2 filled shot glass and the humidifier in place) reads 70% so i will leave it over night and hopefully it will still read 70% and will be fully stabilised so i can load it with cigars before i go away for the week allowing them to stabalise as well.

Unfort BlindedByScience i'm in the UK so the digital meter would work out quite costly to import from Little Havana.

Tom

BlindedByScience said:
Last time I bought a digital hygro, I bagged the three of mine and let them sit overnight. I've found that overnight (at least 12 hours) is required for things to "settle down" so the salt / H2O can produce the proper RH.

BTW - my three came from Little Havana and they all tested right on the money after 12 hrs....I should have taken a pic of all three of 'em showing "75%"..... :thumbs: I've talked to the owner and at the time we talked, he told me they do 100% incoming QC on the hygros they sell. IMHO - for $18.00 plus shipping, you can't go wrong.

Cheers - B.B.S.
[snapback]203923[/snapback]​
i have the same BBS..nice little unit

dukebox_1st said:
Unfort BlindedByScience i'm in the UK so the digital meter would work out quite costly to import from Little Havana.
....not if you have a good friend in this country that would get you one / two / whatever and send them out to you..... :cool:

If you are interested, PM me - I'm sure something can be worked out.

Cheers - B.B.S.