• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

salt test

[OT] ykm loki

I've spent the last 5 minutes searching for the salt test and I havn't been able to find a post telling me how to do it. Can someone help me out?

ykm loki' date='May 27 2006, 05:30 AM' post='325976']
after two hours it's at 95%....is this normal?

Two hours isn't enough time... let it sit at least 24 hours (and leave it alone during that time). The 6 hours in that guide is also too short.

And if your still at 95% after 24 hours then you need to take a screw driver and adjust it to 75%.

Wow sounds like a really crappy hydro... its an analogue correct?

Visit Rod's store and pick yourself up a good electronic one.

And if your using Viper's beads you don't even really need a hydro, as long as you follow the instructions, your humidor will stay at the level you want it at.

And if your using Viper's beads you don't even really need a hydro, as long as you follow the instructions, your humidor will stay at the level you want it at.

How would he know if it is crappy or not........ leave it alone for 24 hours !!!!

Then see what it reads..... You also might want to use 2 Ziplock bags to make sure it is air-tight

How would he know if it is crappy or not........ leave it alone for 24 hours !!!!

Then see what it reads..... You also might want to use 2 Ziplock bags to make sure it is air-tight

Well either really crappy or it took some rough handling on the way into his hands... after over 7 hours it should have read less than before he started not more. And I know it isn't 97% humidity in PA ATM.

I had it in a ziplock bag and a tupperwear container then just a ziplock. Same reading 97-99% I took it out last night and stuck it in the fridge for a few seconds to get it down to around 60%, back in the bag, right back up to 97-99.

I am having a hard time believing it's correct at 97-99% rh. That would mean thta while it was in my humi reading 72% it was actually ~23%rh. My sticks were too good for that to be true

It's 64% RH right now in central pa

Something doesn't sound right to me how much water did you use? any chance the hydrometer got wet?

Something doesn't sound right to me how much water did you use? any chance the hydrometer got wet?
I used about 5 drops of water and a soda bottle cap of salt (roughly a tea spoon). I tried this two times and it's still at 90%+ Again, I don't think this is right since my sticks are quite somkeable and not dry or wet...so idk whats going on

I have had many erratic results from the salt test method, including the 90%+ phenomenon. I think there are some potential problems with how the salt test is usually described.

Not entirely sure, but I think "iodized" salt may have a slightly different saturated vapor point than "pure" sodium chloride salt. Also, if you are doing the test in zip-locks, the possibility exists that some condensation effect might be happening inside the bag as a result of differences in temperature between the room air and the surface the test bag is placed on.

Calibrating relative humidity devices with home-made methods is not as accurate as it sounds like, but it can come pretty close. You might try using a canning (Mason) jar with a rubber gasket seal under the lid and put it in a relatively constant temperature location that has little or no air movement (kitchen cabinet away from the appliances?). I wait to do the test after wetting the salt for about 36 to 48 hours and then carefully put the hygrometer in while trying to avoid displacing air from the jar. Then I check the hygrometer after 6, 12, 24 and 48 hours. If I am opening the humidor daily or couple times daily I use the 6 or 12 hours correction depending on how long since last opening. Otherwise, I use the 48 hours number.

Personally, IMHO, unless you plan on aging cigars for a very long time (years), I don't think 3-5% errors are too important. Also, I have found that some hygrometers (both analog and digital) seem to need a "break-in" period ranging from days to a week or so. Scientifically, I do not know why this is. Digital models often have problems that are corrected when the battery is replaced.

Hope this helps and did not just raise new questions for you,

antaean