• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sap on my Spanish Cedar!

rynmoon

But really does anyone know if the sap will have any ill effects on my stogies? I just got the boards UPS from Rockler. 3 of the 4 boards I was planning on using for shelves are over half covered with this sh%$. It is only onn one side though so if there is no ill effects I will put the sap side down and run with it. Also this is going to be shelves in my winecoolidor and the stogies will all be in boxes if it makes a difference. Thanks.

i have seen questions like this before, and from what i understand you just need to keep the cigars in boxes rather than lay singles on the wood

Wipe the wood down with denatured ETOH . Sanding the wood will only make a mess. Let the panels dry outside the humidor for a couple of days so the smell of the alchol doesn't harm your cigars.

Doc.

Sap on my spanish cedar

Sap on my spanish speder

Smap on my manish speder

Sap on my manish peeder...ouch.

Sap on my spanish cedar

Sap on my spanish speder

Smap on my manish speder

Sap on my manish peeder...ouch.

LMAO......All jokes aside though I did contact Rockler and they are going to send me 4 more pieces minus the sap. I also went ahead and cleaned the sap streaks with the denaturated alcohol and sanded the sap streaks down. I manage a paint store so it was rather easy to get these items. It seems that the sap is taken care of. I let them sit for a few hours and installed the shelves last night. I will keep an eye on them to make sure the sap doesn't come back. If not I guess I will have some extra cedar.

Denatured alcohol is ethanol which has been made poisonous and unfit for consumption (a prohibition legacy). There are multiple ways to denature alcohol. Some makers add methanol or iso-propanol or even gasoline.

This is fine for regular wood working, but some of those denaturing chemicals you will not want in your humidor. The wood acts as a sponge. Your cigars act as sponges...

Next time use sandpaper. You will need a lot of sheets and subsequent changes due to loading. If the sap is really bad consider plain grain alcohol (like Everclear) or a good quality flavorless vodka. Something fit for human consumption that won't flavor your cigars.

edit: The sap, if on your cigars, will alter the flavor. For me the flavor is a distinctly chemical and bitter one.

since you are getting more cedar from your vendor, i would not use the "sapped" wood that was treated with the alcohol. as BFD stated, wood is like a sponge and your cigars are sponges. better to loose some wood than loose your cigars to contamination.

Humidor is bleeding sap/ resin

The special oils of Spanish cedar wood can lead over time to the formation of resin on the wood surface. This occurs particularly if, contrary to the wood used in adorini humidors, the wood has not been carefully dried before production. The resin is very sticky and can usually only be removed with acetone.

The locations where the resin appeared should be treated with fine-grained sandpaper. This cleaning process must be repeated 2-3 times, particularly if thick cedar lining was used. The sticky resin does not impair the quality of the cigars, however it may damage the outside cigar leaves if the cigars come into direct contact with the resin.

After the use of cleaning agents the humidor must be thoroughly ventilated before cigars are placed back into the humidor.
taken from;
http://www.humidor-guide.com/humidor-resin-6-5.php3

It is my understand also,that there are two types of spanish cedar,I forgot the correct terminology used,but,one bleeds,or produces sap and the other doesnt.
I never came across a bleeding piece of cedar in any of my humidors so I cannot tell if the above quote works,but as mentioned already,you will be replaceing the wood so you are fine.

I am going to look up the info on the various types of spanish cedar now to feed my own curiosity.

Denatured alcohol is ethanol which has been made poisonous and unfit for consumption (a prohibition legacy). There are multiple ways to denature alcohol. Some makers add methanol or iso-propanol or even gasoline.

This is fine for regular wood working, but some of those denaturing chemicals you will not want in your humidor. The wood acts as a sponge. Your cigars act as sponges...

Next time use sandpaper. You will need a lot of sheets and subsequent changes due to loading. If the sap is really bad consider plain grain alcohol (like Everclear) or a good quality flavorless vodka. Something fit for human consumption that won't flavor your cigars.

edit: The sap, if on your cigars, will alter the flavor. For me the flavor is a distinctly chemical and bitter one.
Please note that denatured ETOH is used to cut shellac which is approved by the FDA for children's toys. I doubt if the agents used would be an issue. Sometimes we can get a bit neurotic about such things. Consider this: Have you ever been to a saw mill? And what about the guy who cutivates the tobacco fields and takes a piss on the plants. By the way be sure to wash your lettuce. :whistling:

Doc.

I used denatured alcohol on the cedar in my humi. Left it to air out, and had absolutely no smell or residue. Obviously, you need to be careful not to soak the wood more than necessary. Some boards I did not clean, just used the non sappy side as the exposed side.

-D

Once the boards dry you won't have any problems, I've made some dividers from some boards that had a bit of sap on them and have been using them for years since I cleaned them up.

But really does anyone know if the sap will have any ill effects on my stogies? I just got the boards UPS from Rockler. 3 of the 4 boards I was planning on using for shelves are over half covered with this sh%$. It is only onn one side though so if there is no ill effects I will put the sap side down and run with it. Also this is going to be shelves in my winecoolidor and the stogies will all be in boxes if it makes a difference. Thanks.
Almost everyone forgot the question: Will it affect my stogies if they are kept in boxes? I had a girlfriend who explained to me that men always focus on fixing things and forget that not everything needs to be fixed. Her point was that women recognize this distinction. It could be be this is NOT a problem.

I installed my "weeping" cedar because I didn't intend to have the cigars cone in contact with it. If you install the boards weeping side down - PROBLEM SOLVED! In fact, that is the very chemical that aids in aging so it may even be desirable as long as it doesn't come into contact with the cigars.

Almost everyone forgot the question: Will it affect my stogies if they are kept in boxes? I had a girlfriend who explained to me that men always focus on fixing things and forget that not everything needs to be fixed. Her point was that women recognize this distinction. It could be be this is NOT a problem.

I installed my "weeping" cedar because I didn't intend to have the cigars cone in contact with it. If you install the boards weeping side down - PROBLEM SOLVED! In fact, that is the very chemical that aids in aging so it may even be desirable as long as it doesn't come into contact with the cigars.

Good point!
Yes,"weeping" was the term I was after above.