• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sauternes and the like

Schwiering

Reading more, posting less
I am interested in trying a few Sauternes or like wines. It is something that I know next to nothing about, other than d'Yquem is expensive and to die for. I know there have to be cheaper options and was looking for a few that would be less than $50, hopefully less than $25. They do not have to be true Sauternes, although that would be nice too, just sweet white dessert wines. I like port and thought this might be a fun way to add something different to my wine rotation.

I am interested in trying a few Sauternes or like wines. It is something that I know next to nothing about, other than d'Yquem is expensive and to die for. I know there have to be cheaper options and was looking for a few that would be less than $50, hopefully less than $25. They do not have to be true Sauternes, although that would be nice too, just sweet white dessert wines. I like port and thought this might be a fun way to add something different to my wine rotation.

The two Chateaus that I buy from regularly for my Sauternes are Rieussec and Guiraud, I've been quite satisfied with both. Of course I still pick up a bottle of d'Yquem every now and then but it's not a part my regular rotation.

:cool:

NorCal, what do those run per bottle? I am starting to learn that the market for wine in Nashville is pretty poor in terms of price. Tennessee being one of those states that most online shops do not ship to, the prices charged by the stores I frequent are often much higher than I find online.

NorCal, what do those run per bottle? I am starting to learn that the market for wine in Nashville is pretty poor in terms of price. Tennessee being one of those states that most online shops do not ship to, the prices charged by the stores I frequent are often much higher than I find online.

I do many of purchasing through K&L Wine Merchants and Premier Cru for these. Check out the links for their pricing, this reminds me ...... I have an order at PC that's ready for shipping :D .

:cool:

I too am curious to see all the suggestions. I'm actually sitting here right now drinking a glass of Hill of Content (South Australian wine, blend of Sémillon and Sauvignon Blanc) with my gal, which is similar but not as sweet as a Sauternes is supposed to be, since I don't believe any of the grapes used in this wine had "noble rot." I love dessert wines like port and madeira, so I'm sure I'd love these too.

I just popped the cork on a bottle of Jackson Trigg, a Canadian Ice Wine, and it really isn't my kind of thing. I gave this a shot as my local had it in a 187ml and I liked the idea of the smaller bottle for trying something new. For those that have had it and some other dessert wines, please let me know how they compare. It was rich and sweet with strong pear flavors and a finish that didn't want to quit. It was hard to drink as the nose was so overbearing. hopefully an day will do this some good. I will be revisiting it tomorrow night. I gave this a shot as my local had it in a 187ml and I liked the idea of the smaller bottle for trying something new.