• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

say what you want

hectortmc

IMHO the don kiki red is a fantastic stogie. I just finished my 8th one it still taste the same everytime. from finish to end. For the money and taste it's top shelf. A friend told me one time that he went to a shop in New York and asked for the most expensive stick. The guy said are you sure, my friend says i have the money. Then the clerk says or do you want the best tasting and best cigar in the store. He says yes, and the clerk sells him a stick for 4.50. so alot of times the most expensive in not the best. viva don kiki red. :D :D
Dan

The green label's put me off of Don Kiki's for good. Although I have heard good things about the red label.

Your friend should have gone with the most expensive.

At least when he gets around to smoking a 1926 he'll understand and appreciate why it's not $4.50.

Seamus said:
Your friend should have gone with the most expensive.

At least when he gets around to smoking a 1926 he'll understand and appreciate why it's not $4.50.
[snapback]241458[/snapback]​
I don't agree. I have found that over this past year my palate has matured greatly. I can taste some subtle differences between cigars and have a history of cigar experiences to base those subtleties against. Now when I smoke an Opus or VSG I know why it is that I like them. If I would have smoked either last year at the same time, the beauty of those cigars would have been wasted on me. I had a Padron 1926 Serie for my birthday, and while it was a really good cigar, I can't say that it was worth $25. However, only having tried one, I think it is way too early to pass judgement.

Eitherway, I think it would have been a waste of a '26. This is the same reason I have a tough time cooking steak for my kids. I might cook 'em a sirloin, but there is no way I am going to cook up a juicy Rib Eye or New York just so they can cover it with ketchup. I might as well give them cube steak.

Just MHO,
- C

don kiki makes a well made product, the red, with a little age can be sublime, ymmv! :cool:

I have one Green from 2000, maybe it is time. ???

Hello all,

I agree the Don Kiki greens are a bit harsh and have zero flavor from start to finish. The Reds however, are a great smoke for the $$, certainly not as flavorful as an Ashton VSG, not many $1+ sticks compare to the Ashton VSG, IMHO.

The Don Kiki REDs are by far one of the best medium strength sticks I've tried that can be bought for $26 a bundle.
agreed8mv.gif

Although a bit stronger, the Don Kiki Browns are good, but do not have the same variation of flavors as the Reds. I actually prefer the Cuban Crafter Cameroons over the Don Kiki Reds or Browns'. They deliver the strength of the brown labels with the variation in flavor found in the reds. A great full-flavored smoke, IMO. Still not an Ashton VSG, but still a damn fine smoke. YMMV.

Blue Dragon's comments regarding the ever developing palette is absolutely true for me. When I first started smoking cigars I had no idea what was good. Generally, milder was better, and stronger was bad. However, over the last months my tastes has slowly changed and I find I can now appreciate the fuller flavored/stronger smokes.

Oh well, to each his own!

Dan, the ONLY thing that maters is that you like them. For me, there are far too many other smokes that I would rather have than Don Kiki. I have a few in my humi, that I got in a sampler. They are very decent smokes that I tend to enjoy for what they are. However, they just don't have much character to them. And don't even get me started with the Green labeled ones - gag :0

Oh, forget what I wrote earlier. I just re-read your post and you mentioned that they are top shelf. Now, you have gone over board :sign: It's one thing to really like them (fine), but to make the statement that they are top shelf... what else you smoking with that Don Kiki? ;)

Well now that i've smoked more types and brands of cigars i have to retract my comment.They are good but there are others that are better. my fav is a K. Honsotia symphany robusto. Man I love that stick :love: also the rockey patel edge is great.So I think I could say my taste's for stogies is changing.Not much of a fan of the mild sticks. :laugh:

hectortmc said:
Well now that i've smoked more types and brands of cigars i have to retract my comment.They are good but there are others that are better. my fav is a K. Honsotia symphany robusto. Man I love that stick :love: also the rockey patel edge is great.So I think I could say my taste's for stogies is changing.Not much of a fan of the mild sticks. :laugh:
[snapback]246444[/snapback]​

He has SEEN the light! :laugh:

I don't disagree with you that it's a "decent" everyday smoke but I DEFINITELY don't agree with your first statement that it's a top shelf smoke :sign: Sounds like you don't agree with that anymore either ;)

nobody has posted on here for awhile, so ill just say this:
don kiki green was my first major cigar buy.... and they make my dick want to fall off, theyre THAT bad.... first of all they sent me a bundle that was bone dry and some of the cigars were smashed, after 2 months of aging... or rather, rehabilitation, i tried one, and it was just not pleasant... the draw was not tight at all uneven in some parts, felt like there was no resistance, which indicate shitty manufacturing, and also after the first inch the cigar just fell apart... the wrapper split right up the side... and i know my humi isnt too wet, and basically it felt like i was smoking a huge shitty cigarette. i give these to my moocher friends and they think its a great smoke... eep!

... Blue Dragon's comments regarding the ever developing palette is absolutely true for me. When I first started smoking cigars I had no idea what was good. Generally, milder was better, and stronger was bad. However, over the last months my tastes has slowly changed and I find I can now appreciate the fuller flavored/stronger smokes.

Oh well, to each his own!

I had a similar experience when I first began smoking. I started out with milder smokes and progressed towards medium to full bodied smokes. Once I reach the medium to fuller bodied stage I realized that the milder smokes seemed to have less flavor. I stayed the course with medium to fuller bodied smokes for several years.

Then something changed. I smoked a Montecristo Platinum that I bought with a great combo-deal through JR's. I tried my first Platinum and thought, "WOW! That is DAMN good!" The funny thing was that what I found good were the subtle flavors the cigar was offering. "Hmmmm.... I'll have to try some other milder cigars to see what happens."

A few days later I smoked a Monte from the regular line...one that I had been avoiding for fear that I would again miss the subtle nuances. Instead, I picked up on some nice flavors that I probably would have missed a few years ago.

"This is GREAT!" I thought. By smoking the fuller, more flavorful cigars, it seems to have heightend the ability of my pallate to detect those subtleties that I wasn't capable of detecting before. I am getting more enjoyment out of cigars with lighter colored, natural wrappers now.

I don't know precisely what happened, but I know I am able to enjoy better those smokes that I might have thought, 'Eh!' after smoking them. :D