• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

School board fires coach

Maggs44

I just don't get some parents.

The Cedarburg (Wis) school board has fired the boys H.S. basketbal coach because he kicked 4 players off the team. The coach put in place a zero tolerence alcohol policy at the beginning of the season, and both the players AND parents signed the agreement. The policy states that being caught drinking will result in dismissal from the team.

When 4 players were caught drinking at a party snd were kicked off the team, 2 of the players parents complained and threatend to sue. So, the scool board caved in and fried the coach.

Nice example to give your kids.
Source: http://www.jsonline.com/news/ozwash/jul04/240584.asp

I commend the coach for standing up for what he set as "rules" at the beginning of the season. I just wish some parents would stop trying to live their kids lives and let them deal w/ their mistakes. JMHO, of course.

Brandon

Some people just need a good a**whoopin' once in a while. Those parents should be first followed by the kids. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Its sad that in this day and age that a HS coach would have to ask his players to sign a drinking form. College I can understand, but not in highschool. Must be a serious party town.
Bryan :thumbs:

IMHO this is a perfect example of one reason our education system sucks. Now although I don't have children, I still pay taxes to our education system. And when I see or hear of things like this happening, it really upsets me.

A teacher or coach or whoever tried to do the right thing and yet for whatever skewed reason the parents feel justifies the action taken so their spoiled babies won't be disiplined.

That has to be the most pathetic abuse of the system that I've seen in recent times. Threaten to sue because your underage child was breaking a law... what part of that makes sense? I gotta control myself, or I'm going to start an all-out cussfest. :angry:

CUSSFEST???? I cant even explain how this kind of stuff PI$$E$ me off!!! :angry:

If there aren't enough F*&$ing problems with high school kids as it is, they hammer the coach for doing his job.

THIS IS A BUNCH OF HORSE S*!T

Unbelievable! That's why my wife doesn't teach anymore. Her principal told her flat out one time that she would always back the parents over the staff everytime!

The two parents that threatened to sue should first have the livin' crap stomped out of 'em and then the kids should be taken away for their own protection from incompetent parents. :angry:

That's nothing-before I taught at the school that I currently work at, they had a group of kids get busted drinking beer while decorating for prom. Two teachers caught them and handled it appropriately. The kids were banned from attending prom. What did the parents do? They got a judge to issue an injunction against the school, the kids attended prom, and then the lawsuit was dropped shortly afterwards. The administration let the matter die down since you can't carry over disciplinary measuers from one year to the next. Those parents sure did show the kids! ;) :p

??? :lookup: ??? :lookup: ??? :lookup: ??? :lookup: ???

bryan_h said:
Its sad that in this day and age that a HS coach would have to ask his players to sign a drinking form. College I can understand, but not in highschool. Must be a serious party town.
Its a suburb of Milwaukee. If your not familiar with Milw, it is one of the most segregated cities in the country. Milwaukee is like 40% black and 20 % hispanic, while the suburbs are 99% white.

Had the players been black players in Milwaukee, they would have been arrested for underage drinking.

Another suburb of Milwaukee (but in the same county as Cedarburg) recently had a problem with an underage drinking party. The parents left town and let their teenage children alone, so the kids had a big party.

The cops were called, and when they showed up, the kids locked the doors and refused to let the cops in. They cops could see the kids drining from bottles of beer (through the window) but they did nothing because a similar incedent the year before.

That previous case ended when the parents hired lawyers and took the case to court and the judge threw out the underage drinking tickets because the judge said the cops can't inforce underage drinking laws in a private home. Had the kids left the house, they could ticket them.

Maggs44 said:
Another suburb of Milwaukee (but in the same county as Cedarburg) recently had a problem with an underage drinking party. The parents left town and let their teenage children alone, so the kids had a big party.

The cops were called, and when they showed up, the kids locked the doors and refused to let the cops in. They cops could see the kids drining from bottles of beer (through the window) but they did nothing because a similar incedent the year before.

That previous case ended when the parents hired lawyers and took the case to court and the judge threw out the underage drinking tickets because the judge said the cops can't inforce underage drinking laws in a private home. Had the kids left the house, they could ticket them.
:0 This shows just how backwards and f'd up this world is now. When the cops cant enforce a law and kids can party whenever they want to on private property, something is wrong. :angry: Thats just plain BS!

That previous case ended when the parents hired lawyers and took the case to court and the judge threw out the underage drinking tickets because the judge said the cops can't inforce underage drinking laws in a private home.

IMO, it all falls on the parents of today. Nothing against you here that have kids. BUT, when I was younger and if I did something like this.......I seriously would have been beaten silly. My mom would have sided w/ the Coach and my ass either would have been in the stands cheering or at home pouting. It's just sad. Keep them off the team, show an example to the other guys. If you want to drink, wait until the season is over. Not that I condone drinking in High School, but if you really want to play, you gotta abide by the rules.

Brandon

It's up to the parents to stop their kids from doing it. I don't want to blame everything and put the responsibility for raising my children on police or coaches or anyone else but myself. I don't think they should have to sign a waiver, it's none of the school's business, if they drink at school, then punish them, but how can the school punish you for what you do in your own home, it's not their territory. I can't believe the parents were so afraid to accept responsibility for not raising their kids right, that's embarrasing.

That's my 2 cents.

Here in Tennessee the schools and school system are about the same. They take the parents word over administrations. That's one reason my grandchild will be attending a Christian privite school next year.

Law enforcement here seems to be a little different. I was dispatched to a underage drinking party in a upper middle income residence. I rolled up to the house and observed a group of underage people drinking. I also smelled marijuana smoke.

I called for backup. We knocked on the door with no answer. Based on what I saw we kicked in the door. We wound up calling an ambulance to take two kids to the ER. They were too drunk to stand or talk. We cited a large number of kids to court and called parents to pick them up. Not one parent complained after we took them on a tour of the house.

In Tennessee a crime is a crime no matter where it occurs.

Kids do stupid things. That's just a fact of life... and something that I can understand, heck, even relate to. However, its the parents that are just un-freaking-believable... and the school district for supporting them. Exactly what kind of leverage do the parents have? It's not a private school so funding comes from taxes, which the parents are required to pay, regardless of whether they approve of the handling of the situation. God forbid the coach handle it APPROPRIATELY. This is just another sad day among many.

vewyphishy is right that kids do stupid things. If the kids and parents signed that contract the parents would have done the kids a favor by letting them suffer the consequences."you made a choice live with it". Instead the kids learn that breaking the rules is ok if you can get away with it. ???

Bill

That's true, when I played football, I would have much rather had that punishment than had my dad get the belt out, that was much worse. :0 Painful memories!

The problem here is that the kids an parents signed into a binding contract stating the kids would not drink. I am no lawyer, but it makes sense that if the kida and parent sign a contract that states the child pledges not to drink on pain of dismissal, what grounds do the school board have to dismiss the coach. Maybe the coach didn't clear it through the Principal or Athletic Director? I cant' believe any of the school board members were smart enough to catch that. What a bunch of idiots. I wonder if any other parents at the meeting didn't call the other parents ****ing idiots.

Emo