• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

SCOTCH REVIEW NO. I DON'T RECALL

MiamiCubano

El Martillo (My Boxing Name)
I mentioned this one awhile back that I picked up from my recent travels abroad. This is a McCallan's "duty free" exclusive. That means you can't get it stateside unless you are making international travels and pick it up in your duty free shop or on some cruise ship or something of that nature (i.e., some foreign port). It is fairly inexpensive, usually runing about $40. I picked this one up for $37. (edited to add - btw, that's for a one liter size, not a 750ml).

The deal with this one is that it is a single malt scotch that is matured in fino nd oloroso sherry casks. It was distilled in 1991 and bottled in 2003, making it a 12 year old baby. The nose is very light, with scents of vanilla, citrus, floral, spices of wood and oak. The taste is kind of similar. Nothing really heavy here. In fact, given my love of knock-down, drag-out sock-me-in-gut style of scotches, this was really a bit too weak for me. It was very, very smooth, but almost to the point of me not even realizing I was drinking scotch. Ok, not quite that bad, but it is a very light weight scotch. A very good, light-weight and smooth blend for those looking to get into the single malt world. I think that's the bridge that McCallan might have been trying to build with this scotch and, if so, they have succeeded well.

All in all, not bad and, given its relative hard-to-come-by nature, I'm glad I have some in my bar. Also, I'm glad I have some to offer to my guests who like lighter weight viscosities when it comes to scotches. :)

One of the few Macallans I haven't tried, you've got me interested now. Maybe the next time I pass by the duty free shop I'll try to remember to look it up. Thanks for the review :)