• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

SCOTCH REVIEW NO....?

MiamiCubano

El Martillo (My Boxing Name)
After a rather lengthy hiatus, I'm back and, as I've said already, it's good to be back. So, as promised, here's the review of last nights' festivities. We spent the day getting somewhat skunked doing some deep sea fishing off Key Largo, only to get some better luck when we hoisted out the rods, grabbed our spearguns and dove in. After that, we headed back to shore, then enjoy the remainder of the Columbus Day Regatta festivities here in Miami. With that background...

The Scotch -

Ardbeg Provenance. 1974 vintage, bottled 1998, making it a ripe 24 years of age. ABV, 55.6% - cask strength. I scored a deal on this bottle, but it can be found Stateside anywhere from $400 to $600 a bottle. However, this is a limited bottling (done, supposedly, to commemorate the purchase of the company by Glenmorangie) and quantities aren't increasing. :)

To begin, this is an Islay scotch so that is going to give you an idea of what to expect. The nose, right off the bat, is strong with peat and smoke. I mean peat and I mean smoke. It's a powerhouse and, like Pavlov's dog, my mouth begins to water in anticipation. I also get a whiff of cocoa and the wonderful sea-air that most Islay scotches tend to share (think Bowmore, think Laphroaig, think Lagavulin to name a few others).

Now, pouring FOUR fingers of this beauty into my glass. :) Beautiful color. If I could routinely view gold in its liquid form, I would imagine it to look like this. This is the color that sent Ponce De Leon, Vasco De Gama, Magellan, Vespucci, Columbus, and others sailing across oceans, risking scurvy and all manner of disease and death, hostile civilizations, unchartered waters, lands, etc. This is gorgeous.

The taste. Good God the taste. Malty at first, quickly giving way to a symphony, yes symphony, I said it, of peat, oak, sea air, leather, cocoa, smoke and fruit. It's absolutely rich, creamy, smooth and hugely FULL. I am at a loss for words to find something to compare this to, and, even if I could find the words, I don't think I could truly do it justice. In short, this one of the best scotches I've tasted and I couldn't quite get enough of it. I regret only getting one bottle, I truly do. But I only had one bottle available to get, so, those are the breaks. :) If you can get it, don't even waste a second, just get it. You can thank me later.

The Smokes -

The smokes this evening were many to be honest, but all had one main theme which will become apparent. It began with a contraband Partagas Serie D. No. 2 Edicion Limitada, which truly needs no introduction. It then moved on to an equally contraband San Cristobal De La Habana - La Punta, another outstanding cigar that I had been aging in my humidor for a couple of years. The last cigar was a homeland :) Sancho Panza - Bellicoso Cabinet. I had one more contraband Vegas Robaina - Unico lined up that didn't get smoked, but, that's what this evening is for. :)

So, all in all, a fantastic evening filled with great drink, great smokes and wonderful friends. Hope you guys enjoyed the review. :D

Great review, it makes me want to get the Ardbeg 1977 that I have on my list, also a 24 yo dram. So many scotches, so little money ???

AVB said:
This just went on sale at HiTime $330
Does that mean you're going in for a bottle? :) I still scored a better deal than that, but I'm tempted to jump in for one myself.

No that is still more than I want to spend for Ardbeg. I will be getting the Ardbeg 1977 (about $110 delivered) later. Right now I'm saving for the 1968 Balvenie Vintage Cask and with the current poor exchange rate that's over $500.

AVB said:
No that is still more than I want to spend for Ardbeg. I will be getting the Ardbeg 1977 (about $110 delivered) later. Right now I'm saving for the 1968 Balvenie Vintage Cask and with the current poor exchange rate that's over $500.
I definitely can't fault you for that. I've had that Balvenie in the past and it's an absolute stunner. I have a bottle of the Balvenie '66, one of the '70 and, honestly, they don't compare to what I sampled of that '68. Congrats. :D

I have the Balvenie '66 and '67 in the collection and plan for the '70 and '72 after I get the '68. It IS good stuff. :)

AVB said:
I have the Balvenie '66 and '67 in the collection and plan for the '70 and '72 after I get the '68. It IS good stuff. :)
Now, we just need to each get one of those tiny 70cl CASK 191. I think they go for about 6,000 pounds these days via the club.

Only 83 bottles of Cask 191 and at a list of just over $11,000 at today's rate puts it out of my range. I do know where one is available for $8500 if you want it. :D

Long term, the 1961 and 1964 Vintage Casks are on my list strictly as collectibles, no way I'm gonna open a $1K bottle of Scotch!

Maybe the 1937 would do in a pinch, it's only £3,000
1937%20Balvenie.jpg

AVB said:
Only 83 bottles of Cask 191 and at a list of just over $11,000 at today's rate puts it out of my range. I do know where one is available for $8500 if you want it. :D

Long term, the 1961 and 1964 Vintage Casks are on my list strictly as collectibles, no way I'm gonna open a $1K bottle of Scotch!
I have so much to answer for already with regards to my wife, that I just don't know if I would still have a wife if I went ahead and said "yes" to the CASK 191. The 1937 on the other hand, that I'm fairly certain I could explain away. :) I'm think it's more of a size issue here. At least with the 1937, I'm getting 750ml and not just 70cl. :)

Stop by for my birthday in 2006 and you can have some of the 50 yo Glenlivet I've got stashed. :thumbs:

AVB said:
Stop by for my birthday in 2006 and you can have some of the 50 yo Glenlivet I've got stashed. :thumbs:
You got yourself a deal. :thumbs:

I'll remind you nearer the time.

Anyway, for somebody reading this, the point was that the Ardbeg was on sale at a pretty good price at HiTime.