• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Scotch Sampler

T2P

Green Horn
My wonderful wife and I have drank scotch in the past and really enjoyed it but never really looked into it a whole lot until within the last couple of months. After doing some preliminary research I find it very interesting that, like wine, scotch has varied regions with each having a loose guideline that it follows. In order to diversify our tastes and learn what each region offers I am looking for a sampler that would serve to educate us in the various regions and flavor profiles available.

Does anyone have a sampler that fits the bill above? Otherwise if there are no samplers that fall into this category are there any reasonably priced bottles that might come in smaller sizes that we could use?

It might be easier to find an upscale steak house or cigar lounge with an extensive Scotch collection, and sample by the dram, than to find an array of quality single malts in smaller bottles. I do know some have been put out that are "flights" of a particular distillery but don't know if a "Tour of Scotland" collection has ever been assembled.

Once you narrow it to a favored region, Islay or Speyside or Highlands or what have you, then you can invest in full sized bottles with more confidence.

~Boar

It might be easier to find an upscale steak house or cigar lounge with an extensive Scotch collection, and sample by the dram, than to find an array of quality single malts in smaller bottles. I do know some have been put out that are "flights" of a particular distillery but don't know if a "Tour of Scotland" collection has ever been assembled.

Once you narrow it to a favored region, Islay or Speyside or Highlands or what have you, then you can invest in full sized bottles with more confidence.

~Boar

That makes a lot of sense. I will look into finding one in the Twin Cities area (shouldn't be too hard). Any suggestions are welcome.

Well, I can really only tell you what I like---I'm a Speyside kind of guy and love a good casking, so Balvenie, Glenmorangie, Aberlour, Benriach and Glendronach top my list. My regular house Scotch is Dalmore 12 . . . and I stretch the budget on that with JWB.

My indulgence-grade, special occasion bottle is Aberlour a'bunadh. I think that belongs on everyone's Scotch shelf! The Glendronach 15 Revival is probably my very favorite Scotch EVER, but I have to say that the Balvenie Portwood 21 is worth every single penny.

In Islays, I think the Laphroiag Cask Strength is just about perfect. :thumbs:

Other regions, I'm a lot less experienced with.

~Boar

~Boar

That makes a lot of sense. I will look into finding one in the Twin Cities area (shouldn't be too hard). Any suggestions are welcome.

I have no experience in the Twin Cities area but I would look for a place that offers flights. The smaller pours are a big help if you want to try several.

It's too bad someone like Diageo hasn't put out a sampler that includes one from each region in their portfolio. It seems like such a no brainer for them with the classic malts of Scotland line.

...It's too bad someone like Diageo hasn't put out a sampler that includes one from each region in their portfolio. It seems like such a no brainer for them with the classic malts of Scotland line.

I thought the same thing when I first read this thread yesterday.

Next time you come to Duluth go to Dubh Linn Irish Pub. They have an extensive whisky selection and the food is decent. It's right downtown on Superior Street.

I'm sure there are several good places down in the Cities. I know the last time I went to The Happy Gnome in St. Paul they had more scotch on the menu than any place I've ever been. The menu was also broken down into the various regions (highland, lowland, islay, etc.).

This is kind of an expensive option (one I'm still trying to complete)

one bottle of each:

Lagavulin- Islay

Glenkinchie- Lowland

Dalwhinnie- Highland

Cragganmore- Speyside

Talisker- Island

Oban- Western Highland

These are the six classic Malts from Scotlands six malt whiskey making regions. I think It's just an advertising ploy by the Scotland whisky makers, but it is a good place to start.

I'd recommend the Laphroiag Cask Strength for Islay and the Balvenie Doublewood for Speyside instead, but otherwise that's a great list. :thumbs:

That Glenmorangie "range" sampler I linked earlier also looks like a winner---their caskings are really superb. Just wish Benriach offered something similar!

~Boar

Take a trip to PA. ;)

I don't study scotch like these fellas do, but I'll bet I drink more. Single Malts are like sex. They're all good. Some, are just better than others.

Doc.

I usually wait until after dinner, unless scotch is the dinner :p

Well all in all, like anything, it seems like a matter of just jumping in and trying different varieties with the biggest thing being pay attention to what you are trying to know what you like. I did pick up a bottle of Glenlivit 12 year for 27 bucks over the weekend and tried it out. I had some in a rocks glass, which was good but another day I had some in a tulip/Chimay glass, which really worked to subdue some of the alcohol nose and flavor and open up some fruit more. I would have liked a bit more smokiness from what I remember in the past, however.

Take a trip to PA. ;)

Oh and I will consider this an open invitation :whistling:

Sounds like a scotch buy is in order then!!!! Hey I need some new glasses too!

I was laughing last night while I read that a jarhead was asking a swabbie if he was hitting the grog bowl while posting :laugh:

Sounds like a scotch buy is in order then!!!! Hey I need some new glasses too!

I was laughing last night while I read that a jarhead was asking a swabbie if he was hitting the grog bowl while posting :laugh:

I've seen AVB do these before but how do they work? Is it just a case(s) split between participants to help bring down the cost?