• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Seasoning CAO Vision Humidor

Northsider

I have a CAO Vision Humidor, but it hasn't worked well since I got it about a year ago. I just assume that it needs to be seasoned after long disuse. The box is mostly plastic with some cedar on the inside. Is it better to just use a full cedar box or is there a different way to season this sort of humidor?

boxm.jpg

It doesn't work as a humidor unless you already have it IN a walk-in humi like a B&M has. I know because I bought a box of Vision Epiphany (toro) when they first came out. All it really had in it to regulate RH was a Boveda type knock off with CAO's name on it.

The cigars didn't suit me at all, ended up giving away the last 10 or so to a good friend who likes mild cigars.

The SWMBO (I finally figured out what that means :laugh: ) took it to place her extra jewelry in it because of the nice, shiny blue lights. My suggetion, use it as a keepsake box.

<edit> for spacing

Yeah, there really isn't a seal on these puppies, and you are going to need more space. :thumbs:

It doesn't work as a humidor unless you already have it IN a walk-in humi like a B&M has. I know because I bought a box of Vision Epiphany (toro) when they first came out. All it really had in it to regulate RH was a Boveda type knock off with CAO's name on it.

The cigars didn't suit me at all, ended up giving away the last 10 or so to a good friend who likes mild cigars.

The SWMBO (I finally figured out what that means :laugh: ) took it to place her extra jewelry in it because of the nice, shiny blue lights. My suggetion, use it as a keepsake box.

<edit> for spacing
Sure seems fancy to not use...but I see your point.

Yeah, there really isn't a seal on these puppies, and you are going to need more space. :thumbs:
I'll definitely have to consider a new humidor then.

Thanks for the replies.

<edit> for spacing
Sure seems fancy to not use...but I see your point.

I'll definitely have to consider a new humidor coolidor then.

Thanks for the replies.

Fixed that for ya. ;)

yes get a bigger one. Just built a wine-a-dor. Coolidor will be next if I end up needing more space. Collecting has become an obsession...it must be something in the water >.>

(f;.;)f cigaaarrrrrsss

yes get a bigger one. Just built a wine-a-dor. Coolidor will be next if I end up needing more space. Collecting has become an obsession...it must be something in the water >.>

(f;.;)f cigaaarrrrrsss

Usually it's the other way around. :laugh: 'Course, seeing as where you live, you probably just leave it outside on the porch.

You built your own wine-a-dor? Let us know what you did.

<edit for spelling>

I don't think I need a HUGE one. I really never have that many cigars at once...perhaps a small box (25). And a why a coolidor over a humidor? I've been smoking cigars for 10+ years, but have never been into mid-long term storage.

Yes, Feynn; that something in the water is called ice, and in your case has a last name..... berg. :D

I don't think I need a HUGE one. I really never have that many cigars at once...perhaps a small box (25). And a why a coolidor over a humidor? I've been smoking cigars for 10+ years, but have never been into mid-long term storage.

Well, 25 or less you might consider a Tupperware container. Coolidor over a humidor because the cost per cigar-storage ratio is much higher with the coolidor; plus most hold a good seal. A lot of use cannot afford a $1k+ cabinet, but keep hundreds of cigars at any given time. For that kind of storage, long term or not, coolidors are cost effective.

So I'm curious, ten year smoking cigars and you're using a CAO vision? What did you use before that?

So I'm curious, ten year smoking cigars and you're using a CAO vision? What did you use before that?

As I said (or maybe not) I've never really been into collecting cigars and storing them. I've always just bought them as needed (1 or 2 at a time)...or if I got a small box just I keep it in the box it came in with a humipack. My wife did get me a nice small humidor but I gave it away to my brother-in-law because I thought the Vision box could replace it. I guess not.:( Yea, I've been smoking cigars a relatively long time but I've never really been into the finer aspects of cigars until the past year or so.

I guess the next logical question would be about your budget. cheaphumidors has some good deals and there are other retailers who help support this site who are competitively priced. You'll want something with a good seal. :thumbs:

Regardless of how they billed it, this really isn't a humidor. It's a fancy box.

As I said (or maybe not) I've never really been into collecting cigars and storing them. I've always just bought them as needed (1 or 2 at a time)...or if I got a small box just I keep it in the box it came in with a humipack. My wife did get me a nice small humidor but I gave it away to my brother-in-law because I thought the Vision box could replace it. I guess not.:( Yea, I've been smoking cigars a relatively long time but I've never really been into the finer aspects of cigars until the past year or so.

Call your brother-in-law and tell him you want your humidor back because your wife is upset you gave away the humidor she had gifted to you and tell him you will replace it with a better one that has lights!!! :D

I know! Get some heartfelt beads, or a waterpillow or such, and chuck it in there with your cigars. Then, you simply apply a solvent to the rim as you close the lid... and hey presto: a seal.

This will only work once.

I bet those cigars will taste something like the LE tats last year. Yummy, paint!

:sign: I've already bought a new humidor. I will post photos when it comes in. Thanks for the help