• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Seconds and Alts Pass

emodx

Banned
If anyone wants to rate the smokes from this pass, please post away...I will be adding to this forum soon.

Emo

Cusano MC Review.... ???

Here's my take. The foot and head were tigh and the middle coniderably softer. It was a little split along a crease. Pre light was intresting. It smelled sweet. Light brown color. Smooth pull.
After the light, tasted sweet with hints of coffee and cocoa. Mild cigar. Towards the middle(after it went from firm to softer) you could taste pepper and some Hay flavors(not bad though). It also lost the nice cocoa/coffee flavors. It also went from mild towards medium. I am pretty sure that the taste change is from the roll. The middle was much softer than the ends. The burn remined even throughout. I put it out at 1/4.
I think that if they are all rolled like this, then smoke it wet. And might want to put it down for a year so the flavors will be more consistant. But this is at the expense that the gar will get much more milder.
But if you decide to try one, I think if you can get one that is firm all the way through, the flavor of sweetness, cofee, and cocoa will be consistant. Anyone elese try this one? Care to post comments?
If the gar was consistant with the flavor at the begining, I would smoke this instead of a Macanudo any day. A good smoke with coffee in the morning.

Emo
:sign:

I haven't tried that one, Emo.....but I did smoke both of the Connies I got from your pass. Both were great smokes, lots of flavor, burn and draw were perfect. In my opinion, they were both in the medium body range. I actually smoked them both while working outside and enjoyed them to the nub!

I can only see them getting better with age! Those were #30 I believe and JR was sold out of those when I ordered!

Great smokes! I still have the HdM and the JR, saving for another day!!

Leebo :cool:

OK, I was actually in the pass, but emo did send me a gift from it(another oportunity to say thank you, emo). I just finished one of the connies, one of the #3s I think, the ems one. The nose was sweet and spicy, the foot was harsh, but not overly so with a strong wood finish. The middle was milder with a distinct walnut flavor toward the head. I nubbed it and found it really came into it's own close to the head where the flavors were extreamly spicy and the finish was burnt toast and the nutty flavor became almost a pecan.
A very nice smoke that I will call a fine everyday smoke. And for the price they are a pick I intend to make often.

:D

Point od clarification...Connies #30 EMS and Maddie... I concur with puro that they definately have a woody taste and some nutty burn towards the end. I suggest smoking them wet(over humidifyfor 3 hours). Yum yum yum... Thanks for the post.

Emo

Connie #16 Maduro...Firm construction throughout the cigar. Nice shiney dark brown wrapper. Just starting to show some bloom. This one definately had some age. Fairly tight pre-light draw. The light was easy and the flavor was light was quite rewarding. Coffee, cocoa, and cedar all rolled into one. About halfway through the strength picked up some with the arrival of peppery flavor. Yum. The flavor was fairly consistant to the nub, where it became bitter(not 'nuff 4 me to put it out.) :D Overall a very enjoyable cigar. I will definately add this one to my reptitoire!

Emo

Still have 2 more from the pass that are really starting to bloom nicely. :love:

I smoked the JR alt to the AF 858 EMS. I have never had the AF it was patterned after but found it to be very simular to the Montesino Diplomatico. It had a nice smooth draw, burn was even and cool, this baby never got hot. The taste was peppery with a hint of cedar. As I got past the halfway mark it started to get a bit harsh, bordering on bitter, but was not detracting to the cigar. I will certainly purchase some of these babies.

Thanks Emo for the taste dude.

I also burned one of the Connie #30 Maddies on Saturday, while I was fishing. I got to tell you, this is a great fishing cigar. It held together very well stuck in my mouth (kinda chewed on). The taste of this cigar was almost the same as the HdM 2nd that I have had in the past. It was a woody/nutty flavor that stayed fairly consistant throught the stick. A true nubber :thumbs:

Another good stick for about a buck :love:

I like the #30 in Maddie myself. Definately a consistant smoke through and through. The JR was pretty good off the truck. But with a month on them them it wasn't so great. Maybe I got a bad stick. Or maybe they just need more time in the dor. I'll smoke another in a month or so and see if they change my mind.

Emo

JR Alt to Don Victor Remidios(3 yrs old)

Aestheically speaking, it was ok. Medium Brown, 2 small veins, 2 medium veins. The "Labeler" was a little too overzealous with the glue.
Construction was somewhat better. Roll was a nice symmetrical torpedo. Not too hard in the foot and middle, not too soft. Nice and springy. The head has pretty firm and the cap was damn near perfect. Pre-light draw was a litlle restricted and fairly tasteless. I toasted the foot and it split 1/4 inch.
After firing it up it burned past that initial split with no problems. I was rewarded with a nice mild cocoa flavor. The smoke was pretty sweet. After the fist 1/4 cigar the flavor was added to by a slightly bitter(in a good way) nutty flavor. The head started to plug a little. I massaged it by rolling it through my finger a few times and the plug went away.
At the half way point she got a slightly peppery while picking up a little strength.The flavor of this smoke was very very consistant past the 3/4 cigar point. At about 2 inches left she got a bit stonger and a little more bitter. I smoked it to just under an inch.
This was a very rewarding cigar! Perfect morning cigar with a cup of coffee or morning drive to work. I don't kmow how they are earlier in their life, but worth a shot. Thanks to the person who put this in my pass. YUM

Emo

Emo, the Alt to Don Victor are actually seconds of Don Victor's according to Lew Rothman.

Well that is one of those bits of knowledge that will be very usefull in the future. My next bundle might be of these. Any idea how the are earlier in their lifespan? By the way, thanks for that bit. :thumbs:

Emo

Old Fashion #700 Maduro

The apperance of this dark brown stick wasn't pretty. The roll was fine, but it was a pretty ugly wrapper. A couple prominent veins. After the snip, the prelight draw was pretty basic. It lit well and burnd evenly. A consitant cigar all the way to the 1/2 point. Straight forward tobbaco taste, a little sweet, and a little "tangy taste" on the pallate. Other than that, pretty one dimendional. It did produce a healthy volume of smoke. A decent stick your yard work, working in the shop, or maybe fishing.

Emo

Assuming that's the one I put in there, that was from L.Lynn Cigars - I've been aging it for a bit over a year and a half now.

That was in the very first bundle I ever bought.

Sorry it wasn't a better cigar, but hey - for under a buck a piece, they can't all be winners!
Dave :D

Dave, not a winner, but not a loser either. How are Lynn's prices and customer service? I have never bought anything from that site. The other site I was looking at was Holts. How are the other Old Fashions?

Emo

Greagario(sp?) Warhol... Very light brown, just browner than candela. Nose was bakers chocolate...a mixed filler. Not the prettiest hand rolled. A very mild cigar. Pretty flavorable smoke for the mildness. Not the greatest burn, but wasn't expecting it either. All in all, mor flavors then a Mac @ the expense of the burn and "pretty wrapper"...worth a shot if you come across one. It was a sweet tasting one.
Emo