• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Self-Contained Security Camera

Mizicke5273

Morning, I'm looking for a security camera, to fit a specific purpose, and I figured I'd pose the question to all of you. My brother has some property with a garage on it and he would like to setup a security camera on it. I'll eventually help him plan out and build an IP camera system, but he wants something quick for now.

There is a big road works project going on right in front of the property; the road is being widened and such. So he is looking for a camera to keep an eye on the property and garage when he is not there. He does not have an Internet connection or Wireless Network there at this time. There is electric. The camera needs to be self-contained and record to internal media; either a SD Card or HDD/SSD.

I found a self contained camera on Amazon, a Zosi C1, and bought it to try out. The issue with it is, it only records on motion and human motion specifically. My brother needs something that records constantly.

Requirements:
- Record Constantly to Internal Media.
- Ability to overwrite older recordings when Media is full.
- Configure & Forget; starts recording once turned on (Needed as no Wireless Network to Control the camera).

Nice to Haves:
- Optional Battery Powered.
- Weather Proof.

So I was wondering if any of you know of any recommendations?

I don't know of anything like you stated but I can tell you that trail cameras for capturing wild game movement, and nosy neighbors, can be pretty sweet.

They work on batteries so they can be put anywhere, they are weatherproof, they can be programmed to capture 1 to 10 pictures per event, how long between events, picture size, video, time stamp, etc.

Amazon has a ton of them, I saw a Zosi 4 camera set for $135 (Prime sale). The UI on these isn't the best, but they seem to work pretty well.

Got to say the trail camera suggestion is a good one; very simple to implement, if it has the features you're looking for.

I don't know of anything like you stated but I can tell you that trail cameras for capturing wild game movement, and nosy neighbors, can be pretty sweet.

They work on batteries so they can be put anywhere, they are weatherproof, they can be programmed to capture 1 to 10 pictures per event, how long between events, picture size, video, time stamp, etc.
That is a good recommendation. I saw it mentioned the other day as well, when I started looking into this. I didn't really consider it much then, but it does seem like this may be the best route for a quick all-on-one solution. I just mentioned this to my brother and he is going to look in to a few of these.

Amazon has a ton of them, I saw a Zosi 4 camera set for $135 (Prime sale). The UI on these isn't the best, but they seem to work pretty well.

Got to say the trail camera suggestion is a good one; very simple to implement, if it has the features you're looking for.
Yeah, he'll eventually get a Wireless system, but for now it needs to be an all-in-one camera for a quick install. He does not have the time right now to do a whole system properly.

That is a good recommendation. I saw it mentioned the other day as well, when I started looking into this. I didn't really consider it much then, but it does seem like this may be the best route for a quick all-on-one solution. I just mentioned this to my brother and he is going to look in to a few of these.

Yeah, he'll eventually get a Wireless system, but for now it needs to be an all-in-one camera for a quick install. He does not have the time right now to do a whole system properly.
They can also be programmed for distance and sensitivity. And they can be hidden well as they are camo.

Good luck!

Recording constantly will require a large internal storage plus depending on how many days he wants to have available. I like the trail cam idea