• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Setup first purchase, need help!

Holyvision

The most noobishly noobish noob
Hello,

I just joined, introduced myself, and am looking to annoy you with questions already!

I recently go into this hobby via a friend of mine who has been a long time smoker of cigars -- before then I had never smoked anything in my life. My first smokes were CAO flavors, nothing larger than a Tubo.

Anyway, I am looking to make a first-time purchase of Humidor and stock for it. I like Flavored and non-flavored, so that prolly means 2 humidors. Below is my existing shopping list, I seek advise and suggestions!

Take note please, that I am in college, so finances are tight (aren't everyone's?), so under $250 would be fantastic, $200 even better!!!

Here's my existing list, please tell me if there's a mistake!

Isla Del Sol Gran Corona Box of 20
Onyx Reserve #4 (Square Pressed) Box of 20
Tatiana Vanilla Classic Tube Box of 10
Creme De Jamaica Toro 5 Pack
Famous Nicaraguan 2000 Robusto Connecticut Box of 20
Garcia Y Vega Panatela Deluxe Box of 50...? (sounds too cheap...)

The humidors are iffy, I currently was looking at a 50ct one and a smaller 20ct one, but I'm completely open to suggestions here! The above list with a 50 ct Humidor, an 18 ct Humidor, calibration kits, seasoning kits, 50/50 solution, etc is almost exactly $250

Just remember I'm kinda new at this, so don't throw out some super-full-bodied $15/stick suggestions! :blush:

Thanks in advance!,
--Holy

In college a coolerdor or tubadore might be a better way to go (more money for smokesand room to grow). Do a search for cheep smokes, tones of stuff sugusted in your price point . Welcome and smoke them if you got them

Welcome to CP, I didn't catch you on your intro post.

The humidors are nice, but consider setting up a coolador (there is a lot of information on the site, search is your friend). Past that look into the newbie trade, the FOGs there will really take care of you and get you started in the right direction.

Regards,

Ken

I would advise buying a cooler and using some beads from Heartfelt Industries. I currently have two desktop humidors, a large chest that I use for full boxes of my high end sticks, and a 50qt cooler. I find myself using the cooler more than any of the others... There a ton of threads on how to setup a cooler in the humidor section, as well as information on the beads and whatnot.

You will save money for more cigars and have way more room than you could ever hope with a small desktop variant.

I also would advise just buying singles of sticks that you like, instead of going with entire boxes from the start. My tastes are constantly improving, to the point that many of the cigars I smoke now are incredibly different from those I started with.

Welcome, and enjoy the new hobby!

I'd build a tuperdor and do the newbie sampler trade. You'd still have around 125 bucks left over and have a better selection of sticks. The thing I had to learn early on was to never buy a box of anything until you've tried it and know you'll like it. So, just my 2 cents worth, but smoke everything you can...buy 50 different cigars instead of 5 boxes of 5 brands. When just starting out, your tastes change quickly.

Wow, you guys are fast. Ok so, I scrapped the boxes, and am getting singles or 3-packs when singles are not available.

As another question, if I get Flavored and Non-Flavored sticks, can they be kept in the same COOLidor, I know it's a no-no in a humidor, but is the same true for a cooler? Or, as a starter, would it be better to abandon flavored and stick to non-flavored (maybe enjoy a mini-flavor time-to-time that doesn't need a ___dor)

Oh, and feel free to throw out suggestions on financially-decent cigars to try for a nooblett!

Thanks again, great community already!

Never store flavored cigars with your regular smokes regardless of what they're in. If you like flavored cigars, then by all means smoke them....you just won't find many fans on here. Check out the newbie sampler thread like we've suggested. I've done it twice. It's THE best bang for your buck on the internet. You'll get a ton of great cigars at a great price.

Never store flavored cigars with your regular smokes regardless of what they're in. If you like flavored cigars, then by all means smoke them....you just won't find many fans on here. Check out the newbie sampler thread like we've suggested. I've done it twice. It's THE best bang for your buck on the internet. You'll get a ton of great cigars at a great price.

+1 I was very happy with my newbie sampler, one of these days I'm going to do it again.

Also since your a local, shoot me your address and I'll drop an assortment of non flavored cigars in the mail for you to check out.

The Ashton Imported Classic was my gateway cigar to the fuller ones. I highly recommend it when you get your price range up a little and have smoked more.

Sent a PM to get in on the starter sampler trade, thanks for all your suggestions!

Man I am new...I didn't even know they made flavored cigars. I kind of think I like the flavor of the ones I have tried...which is probably non-flavored.

Man I am new...I didn't even know they made flavored cigars. I kind of think I like the flavor of the ones I have tried...which is probably non-flavored.

Yea, there's pretty much every flavor out there. My favs are the CAO Flavors, but Tatianas are ok too. My personal favs are Vanilla, Eileen's Dream, and Honey. But non-flavored smokes are the generally accepted "good stuff", or so I would assume from what I've read! But, as people tell me over and over: Smoke what you like!

--Holy

Padron 2000 Maduro would be a first good box. Thats if you are looking to go down that road yet.