• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Shape vs Manufacturer

Wombat

Wombats Have Skills
Hi All:

I have not seen this question asked and I did try a search so here goes: I have been trying quite a few different brands in an effort to see what I like. I usually just purchase a PC or robusto shape since this is what I enjoy. However, it got me thinking. If I were to purchase a cigar in ever shape AF (or any good vendor) made (all from the same line of course) would I notice a big difference in taste?

I notice very large differences in flavor profile based on shape (or vitola). I've found the following:

Small / Short cigars deliver a lot of power, as the smoke doesn't pass through as many layers of tobacco before hitting your mouth. You don't usually find as much complexity in the smaller cigars.

Long cigars have a milder profile, and more complexity.

Fat cigars deliver a lot of power over a long period of time, and with fatter cigars the maker can usually use a larger variety of leaves, so you're more likely to pick up complexity that way.

And my favorites: "Cuban Perfecto" or Short Story Figurado. This is an interesting figurado that, in my opinion, really brings out the best in a cigar. I like it for the Short Story, the Best Seller, the WOA(M&N), and the Ashton VSG Enchantment. This shape seems to deliver a LOT of power, but really changes the profile significantly by pushing the volumes of smoke from the large foot through the tighter passage of the small head. If a cigar comes in this vitola, I'll take it over the other vitolas everytime.

I'm sure others can add their observations, but experiment with the different sizes. Given the same tobaccos, the different shapes may taste the same, but the profile of the taste changes drastically, and in the case of fat cigars may change completely if they used additional leaves.

KevPriest

kevpriest said:
This shape seems to deliver a LOT of power, but really changes the profile significantly by pushing the volumes of smoke from the large foot through the tighter passage of the small head. If a cigar comes in this vitola, I'll take it over the other vitolas everytime.
KevPriest
[snapback]225149[/snapback]​

As I have said before the Punch you can pick up in about any shop in the states are my daily smokes. I found a new shape(at least to me), The Second label says "Champion" available from them that has the larger foot and the smaller head and grabbed a couple, now after seeing this I will be firing one up tonight. :D

I like the Punch Champion myself. I have been smoking quite a few lately!

punch champion has been a staple in my humis since they were introduced, go with what you like! ;)