• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Signatory Clynelish 1991 - 13 Year Old

cigardawg

Well, here is the first of three reviews on some scotches that I recently tried. I'll post the others over the next few days. I don't have the experienced palate that AVB does, but here it goes anyway.

Clynelish, Highland Scotch, Signatory bottling, unchillfiltered. Bottled at 43% (86 proof). Distilled October 1991 and bottled in June 2005 at just short of 14 years. Standard tall bottle. No additional packaging.

DSCN0220.jpg

Color: Fino sherry to chardonnay. Cloudy upon chilling with ice.

Nose: Neat, there was a subtle wine sweetness behind the alcohol, almost like a Riesling. With some ice added, the grain and malt opened up to mix with the wine sweetness. The ice released the most minute bit of smoke.

Taste: Neat, the Clynelish was hot, with some oak on the front, followed by the alcohol and then some additional oak, sweet grain, and a hint of smoke. The ice cube tamed it, calming the oak and bringing up the grain and malt. There was also some pleasant sour apple or other fruit that worked the sides of the tongue.

Finish: This scotch had a short finish with only the tiniest bit of smoke and a slightly astringent mouthfeel.

Balance: This was a light-bodied scotch, perfect for a warm evening. The grain and malt worked well together between the nose and palate. The minute smoke left a pleasant feeling in the mouth. Overall, the scotch works. It is nothing earth-shattering, but a pleasant dram that I feel comfortable recommending.

Nice review and I hope to see the others. Doesn't sound like a bad dram for $45.

Nice review and I hope to see the others. Doesn't sound like a bad dram for $45.

It wasn't. I'd buy it again (only about 1 finger left in the bottle), but there are so many others to try. I'll have to work my way around to it again.

Nice review Scott. Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding was that Scotch stops aging the moment it hits the bottle. Which would make this dram only 4 years old? Now if it was bottled in 2005 I think that would be correct. Ray?

I think he meant bottled in 2005 but you are correct, it stops aging once bottled as do all spirits.

Nice review Scott. Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding was that Scotch stops aging the moment it hits the bottle. Which would make this dram only 4 years old? Now if it was bottled in 2005 I think that would be correct. Ray?

It was bottled in 2005. Initial post corrected. :thumbs: