• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Similar to Spanish Cedar Wood

jepe

I want to buy a spacial made humidor from a carpenter.
If I buy online I pay for shipping almost as much as the humidor will cost.
I asked a numerous of carpenters and all told me that they don't use Spanish Cedar Wood,and if someone will tell me he does he's laying.
Is there another type of wood that will do the same job as Spanish Cedar?
Or maybe I can use Spanish Cedar sheet for the interior surface,are thy any good?

Shalom......Honduran mahogany has the same properties,,,,,without the cedar aroma,,,I'm sure others will be along to correct or add to this information

From what I've been told, Spanish Cedar is in the Mahogany family. You should contact "Humidor Minister". He builds humidors and would know more than I.

I read somewhere that the beetles are repulsed by the smell of the spanish cedar, and that helps keep them at bay. It's not that expensive (that I've seen, though I am no expert) As long as it's the kiln-dried variety. Check out atuks project walk-in thread , he used Luan for his humidor. Just my .02

Is it possible you're talking to the wrong kind of carpenters? For building a humidor, you want a woodworker or cabinet maker, not a carpenter.

That aside, unless there's some sort of political/legal prohibition against its import into Israel, I can't imagine why a woodworker wouldn't use it. It's readily available, and although fairly expensive, less so than other commonly used woods and no more hazardous to work with than rosewood or for that matter, any other cedar.

Humidors are lined with cedar, however, not constructed entirely from it. Frequently only with cedar veneer. Is it possible this is the source of your miscommunication with the people you've talked to?

Any woodworker worth his tools can make big boards out of small ones---with enough cigar boxes, you can salvage enough cedar to line a humidor with.

~Boar

I read somewhere that the beetles are repulsed by the smell of the spanish cedar, and that helps keep them at bay. It's not that expensive (that I've seen, though I am no expert) As long as it's the kiln-dried variety. Check out atuks project walk-in thread , he used Luan for his humidor. Just my .02

The Luan works great! I do think that the Luan is made from some kind of mohagany. Does Isreal have a Home Depot? :D

I do know that with all woods there is always an oil present in the wood. This is what gives it the distinct smell. You can use the sheets of cedar glued on top of other woods, but the moisture will break it down rather quickly. Hope this helps.

Hows it going. IMHO I'd just use Spanish Cedar. It's relatively inexpensive and has always been the standard in Humidor linings. I always pre-humidify my cedar in a plastic bag so when I cut it I can cut to fit w/o leaving room for movement.

Hows it going. IMHO I'd just use Spanish Cedar. It's relatively inexpensive and has always been the standard in Humidor linings. I always pre-humidify my cedar in a plastic bag so when I cut it I can cut to fit w/o leaving room for movement.

Where do you get the spanish cedar at inexpensive prices. If I would have used spanish cedar instead of the Luan, I would have spent a fortune! I have only seen it in smaller pieces, not in entire sheets like the Luan.

Where do you get the spanish cedar at inexpensive prices. If I would have used spanish cedar instead of the Luan, I would have spent a fortune! I have only seen it in smaller pieces, not in entire sheets like the Luan.

LINK: Spanish Cedar plywood

It's actually a three-ply luan, with the top, G1S, ply being Spanish cedar. $75 per sheet! :0

It comes in other thicknesses, but I'm hoping to find one that's ALL Spanish cedar---at any rate, it's fortunate I'll only be needing 4 sheets for my own closet-to-walkin conversion.

~Boar

I buy it in a rough sawn solid material from woodworkers source. They have stores all over the USA and you can order on line. I have to mill it to my needs. I like it to be at least 3/8" thick so it will hold humidity deep in the wood. Here's a link to their site. I should have bought stock in this company before I walked in the door 17 years ago
http://www.woodworkerssource.com/

He he, I added them to my favorites!
How do you resaw your stock at home? Table or bandsaw.

I want to buy a spacial made humidor from a carpenter.
If I buy online I pay for shipping almost as much as the humidor will cost.
I asked a numerous of carpenters and all told me that they don't use Spanish Cedar Wood,and if someone will tell me he does he's laying.
Is there another type of wood that will do the same job as Spanish Cedar?
Or maybe I can use Spanish Cedar sheet for the interior surface,are thy any good?

Desktop or cabinet? The quantity you need will determine your choices. Basically, mahogany or Luan are your sheet choices. If you just need to line a desktop, ebay or any number of online retailers sell 1/8-3/8 thick pieces.

You could always check local lumber yards. Sometimes they will special order it for you if they don't have any on hand. It's definitely not the cheapest option though. What I ended up doing was just hanging on to all of my empty boxes and breaking them down and using the pieces to line my coolidor. It was a whole lot cheaper than buying it online. Even in bulk I was looking at around $40 bucks plus an ungodly amount of shipping and handling charges...and that was for barely enough wood to line one wall of a 60 QT cooler. If you're building a large humidor or a walk-in type, your most cost effective means is going to be finding a veneer or using a replacement like luan.

*EDIT* Just finished checking out woodworkerssource.com and it looks like they've got 1/4" spanish cedar for a decent price. It's 4-6" wide pieces but hey...that's about all you can expect I guess.