• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sipping is key!

eegeland

Hey all,

So as a newbie with only about 40 smokes under his belt, I have struggled with finding a natural (un-flavored) cigar that taste good. I had asked what the proper way to draw on the cigar was and someone said "sipping". I thought he meant smoke it in a relaxed fashion letting it rest for a minute between draws. While that's true, what he meant was to actually sip the cigar like drinking from a straw.

I don't know how I discovered this but OH MY GOD it has re-opened my entire smoking experience!! For those who have no idea what I'm talking about; I will attempt to describe the technique and benefits.

The best way I can describe this is to suck on the tip of the cigar like its a nipple (sorry). Your tongue stays on the roof of your mouth vs. being cupped on the bottom like when you take those "light the cigar" draws. The smoke crosses the tip of your tongue and the taste is completely different than the big tongue down draws. You know your doing it right if you mistakenly inhale once in a while.

I have found that some cigars taste better with the sip, some with the big draw, and some (like the Cohiba Black I had last night) are nice sipping till about mid way when it gets too strong and taste better with the big draw. Now I have to go back and re=try all the cigars I wrote off!

Hey all,

So as a newbie with only about 40 smokes under his belt, I have struggled with finding a natural (un-flavored) cigar that taste good. I had asked what the proper way to draw on the cigar was and someone said "sipping". I thought he meant smoke it in a relaxed fashion letting it rest for a minute between draws. While that's true, what he meant was to actually sip the cigar like drinking from a straw.

I don't know how I discovered this but OH MY GOD it has re-opened my entire smoking experience!! For those who have no idea what I'm talking about; I will attempt to describe the technique and benefits.

The best way I can describe this is to suck on the tip of the cigar like its a nipple (sorry). Your tongue stays on the roof of your mouth vs. being cupped on the bottom like when you take those "light the cigar" draws. The smoke crosses the tip of your tongue and the taste is completely different than the big tongue down draws. You know your doing it right if you mistakenly inhale once in a while.

I have found that some cigars taste better with the sip, some with the big draw, and some (like the Cohiba Black I had last night) are nice sipping till about mid way when it gets too strong and taste better with the big draw. Now I have to go back and re=try all the cigars I wrote off!

Another one on the "sipping" bandwagon? ??? I think this is the start of a cult following Dan. :p

This whole part kinda irks me. WTF is a "big tongue down" draw?

Let me explain it to you tater. Take a big draw like when your lighting a smoke, your tongue is down (try putting it up against the roof of you mouth... you can't).

You guys are being pretty close minded. Each persons taste buds are different. So if two people like "sweet" one might taste more of it in the middle of the tongue while the other tastes more on the tip.

Jon is anything but "closed minded" when it comes to learning new tongue techniques. Brent thanks you.

This article is saying that the taste buds being located in the traditionally mapped locations isn't necessarily true. However you enjoy your cigars works for me. But don't over think it too much, it's not rocket surgery.

Hey all,

Another one on the "sipping" bandwagon? ??? I think this is the start of a cult following Dan. :p

You mean the "I smoke like a twelve year old ballerina" bandwagon? I suppose that everyone has their own style and can smoke how they want.

Grow thicker skin Nancy, they're just busting your balls a little.

You mean the "I smoke like a twelve year old ballerina" bandwagon? I suppose that everyone has their own style and can smoke how they want.

rotfl.gif
rotfl.gif
rotfl.gif

I was looking for a way to say it . . . yours is better! LOL!

Frankly, the whole description of the process was putting me in mind of this table full of twenty-something noobs who bought cigars from Tobacco World's booth at the last Jazzfest---one was the "expert" and was showing the others how to smoke cigars as they sat around in their porkpie hats and thrift shop t-shirts and skinny hipster jeans taking these weird, pursed lip, quick little sips off their Drew Estates and Acids . . . :rolleyes:

To each their own. It's a large world. ;)

~Boar

Let me explain it to you tater. Take a big draw like when your lighting a smoke, your tongue is down (try putting it up against the roof of you mouth... you can't).

You guys are being pretty close minded. Each persons taste buds are different. So if two people like "sweet" one might taste more of it in the middle of the tongue while the other tastes more on the tip.

Careful! Not a good idea to start condescending. Since you announced yourself as only having 40 smokes under your belt it is probably not best to come on with the "let me educate you all" attitude. Whether or not that's what you were intending, that's how this post comes off. Everyone smokes differently. Enjoy yours, roll with the punches, and have some fun!

To each his own indeed. I guess I invited the chop busting fest with my post implying sipping is the only way. But the point is I now sip and toke depending on the cigar and sometimes change during a particular cigar. The two techniques have simply allowed me to enjoy more cigars! Bust away, but you all should try it. :p

Hey all,

OK, there is NO tongue action in my sipping. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. If you get my drift. ;)

OK, there is NO tongue action in my sipping. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. If you get my drift. ;)

LOL! Me neither! I'm more of a "train" type smoker... :p

Hey eegeland, we're just playing with you dude, welcome to CP! Lighten up a bit, you'll be fine. ;)

LOL! Me neither! I'm more of a "train" type smoker... :p

Hey eegeland, we're just playing with you dude, welcome to CP! Lighten up a bit, you'll be fine. ;)

Im cool :thumbs: thanks bro.
Good discussion.

I think I'm put off by the picture I now have in my head of the 'Fancy Boys' that Boar just described.... :0

As for me, I couldn't possibly "sip" my cigar...not while having it jammed in my mouth with a glass of scotch in my right hand and a woman's breast in my left while receiving a ballet dance on my lap....maybe I have to work on that.

BTW eegeland...who the hell lives in Wurtsboro? You drive THROUGH Wurtsboro on the way to Ellenville from 17!!.... :laugh: Although I did get a speeding ticket there in '75 on 209 doing just that....that little court on the main street was a pisser!

....guess I've been doing it wrong all this time. I just "power hork" the smoke right down to the nub.....
laugh.gif

....guess I've been doing it wrong all this time. I just "power hork" the smoke right down to the nub.....
laugh.gif

I thought "power hork" would be like armed robbery. I think the Bob and Doug McKenzie are the only people I've heard use it. example (taken from wavelist):

Doug ... "Somebody horked our clothes!"
Bob ... "Geez, who'd want to hork our clothes, eh?"