• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Small Cooler and Climmax Beads

Ike

I want to get something small to keep about 12-20 cigars in. I was looking at the small coolers at Target. The ones that have the little handle that flips up. They don't seem to seal quite as well as the larger coolers; I was wondering if anyone has used them?

How much Climmax bead product would I need for a small area like that? Would anything else work better?

Thanks

Yeah, those guys are crappy at sealing. What you need is one of those old school coolers. The kind that has a lid that comes off. It has a handle w/ 2 locking positions, up and to the side, you have to rotate it to the far other side to get the top off. I haven't seen any since the late 80's.

Emo

emodx said:
Yeah, those guys are crappy at sealing. What you need is one of those old school coolers. The kind that has a lid that comes off. It has a handle w/ 2 locking positions, up and to the side, you have to rotate it to the far other side to get the top off. I haven't seen any since the late 80's.

Emo
You just described my first Coolerdor. I think there is even a post here somewhere with a Pic of it. For mine I added a wood devider and a tray on top, it would hold about 30 cigars. My brother has it now. I humidified it with a 2.5" Foam humidifier. If I used it now it would have a Churchill sized Tubo poked with small holes and filled with beads.

Made by Coleman, here is a link

So they still make them.

Do you think the climmax tube shaped humidifiers would be enough. 1 or 2 of the large ones?

I really don't want to mess with the beads if I can get away with using the pre-made tube thing.

Ike said:
So they still make them.

Do you think the climmax tube shaped humidifiers would be enough. 1 or 2 of the large ones?

I really don't want to mess with the beads if I can get away with using the pre-made tube thing.
Go for the pre-mades if you want. But once you get this coolerdor running, chances are you'll start another later. I say get the media, but only because I think you'll use it later.

Emo

That cooler breaks down as follows...

28 Quarts (US, liquid) equals 0.935764 Cubic feet

So...rounding up to 1 cubic foot

The Large ready made Climmax Tubo is designed for 25 cigars. You would need about 1/4 pound of Beads for a cooler that size. I recommend getting a pound. Like Emo says, you will need it at some point, sooner than you think, most likely.

Definitely get a pound of the 65%. You'll use it eventually. Get yourself a small plastic tackle box or soap dish and drill some holes in the top. Then fill it about half full with beads. Use a very small bit so the beads can't fall out. Works great for me in my various coolers and humis. I only use the Climmax Tubes in my travelers for convenience. Oh and be sure and mention you are a CP member when you order from Vern and he will give you a nice discount :)

Thanks for all the replies guys.

My newer thread sorta takes over from this one, anyone know how I can close this one.

thanks