• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Smart phone ?

Gunpowder

Cigar Search & destroy V 1.20
Asking those of you familiar with AT&T and smart phones. My wife is wanting to upgrade to a smart phone. AT&T wants to ding us with $50, a new contract, and $15/month data plan (I'm paying $10 right now). The local store said the data plan was $25/month not $15 so they are contradicting their website. This is even for the I3 instead of the I4.

I am already paying $180 and the reception for all phones stink out here in Egypt land so it isn't worth it.

I have access to a free I3. Can she just slip her card into the I3 and truck on on her current plan? My daughter's phone puked and they have been sharing the cards with one phone till my wife upgrades.

According to the AT&T website, it will work but if they discover you are using an I phone they will bump you up to the next digital plan. Something about the I-phone is a Ferrari and the other phone a pinto.-

I just read that I-phones are now available "open" in the US so expect this to be a common issue for carriers who charge more for "smart phone" plans.

Frankly, our service stinks and I am tired of paying for it. AT&T has the best reception of all the companies here. so I am stuck.

There's a good chance that using the old SIM card will not work well or at all with the iPhone. We were told this about a year ago when we were trying out different smart phones. We had been using the HTC 8125 for about 4 years so it was time. We couldn't just swap out our SIM cards with the iPhone and get all the features or maybe it wouldn't work at all I can't quite remember the details. Of course this could have been the standard line of BS from AT&T.

Another thing to consider is that there is a major performance improvement with the iPhone 4 versus the iPhone 3. I live out in the county and my only options for Internet are dial up or satellite. So I went with the least expensive (slowest) satellite option running at 500Kbps. My iPone 4 is faster.

Of course this is just my opinion and YMMV.