• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

smelly humidor

boxman

Ok, maybe I made a big mistake, but I was storing rum flavored cigars in my humidor and now that's all I smell. I worry it'll migrate to any new cigars I may store in it and was wondering if there are any tips for removing the smell and starting fresh.

thnx

boxman

Welcome to CP. Head on over to the lobby and introduce youself.

I not sure how to remove the smell.

let it air out for a while and recondition it I suppose?

Cheers,
Dixie

The following is just "brainstorming" I haven't had this problem or tried any of these solutions, but they seem reasonable to me, so I figured I'd share.

1. Leave it open and let it air out (like Dixie said).
2. Put in a small container (like mabe an open film containor, or a shot glass) full of baking soda, that allways seems to work in the fridge.
3. Fill the humi with dog rockets, let them soak up the smell while trading back some tabbaco aroma.

Lastly, and personally I don't know if I would try this one, I read somewhere a suggestion about wipeing down the inside of a humi with vodka (or other nuetral spirit) to kill odors and mold spores. Again, I don't know if I'd try it.

Oh well, there's my suggestions (for what they're worth ??? ) I think after any of them (except #3) you will have to re season it) Good Luck

Aww Nuts!!!!!!! :lookup:

Now a feel like a real puttz (I think that's the same as FNG in most circles).

I did a search on "Odor" and found all my suggestions (plus some better ones) in "Cleaning a Humidor" (started by: ricmac25). Check it out Boxman! ;)

Sorry for the clutter everyone. :(

Sand the inside lightly with a very fine sand paper, and make sure to get the dust out. Leave it open for a couple of days. Then put you baking soda in there for a couple of days. Reapeat as necesscary until odor is gone.

Emo

Thanks for the answers, guys, and I read the other thread as well. Ha! I may do all three, first a little vodka, then some baking soda, then a little sanding to revitalize the cedar.:D

boxter

For all the work involved, just buy another humidor. Hang around the board a while and you'll need one. Trust us on this one. :)