• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Smoke box over open fire

JHolmes763

Drinkin' the koolaid
I thought I caught a glimpse of this on some cooking show my wife watches. It was a smoke box with a place to put wood chips in the bottom and food in the top. I thought the cook then put it over a gas grill, but I'm sure an open fire would work, too. It wasn't large...maybe enough to fit 4-5 chicken breasts in.

My google-fu is weak, as all I can find is the wood chip only containers that'll sit in a gas grill. Am I imagining this? Anyone familiar with it and know if it's worthwhile?

I have an open fireplace on the back patio and my thinking is that I can just sit this in some hot coals and smoke dinner.

Thanks for any leads.

-John

The first WS link looks like what they were using. Thanks... I don't know why it wasn't turning up in my searches. :)

Not a bad price either. I may have to look into that. I bet you could modify it a little and make a mini smoker out of it, but probably just easier to pick one up. Looks great to just toss on a grill though.

If you have a grill with a lid, you can probably get by with just the box for wood ships and grill/smoke on the rack. All I have now is an open fireplace with a (very heavy) metal grate I can put over top of it. I think this'll be fun to experiment with. Wife is ordering it now, so I'll keep ya'll posted. Thanks again Tom.

Any luck with it? I have been considering one of these myself, but really want an actual smoker cabinet, like a master built electric 30. Just missed out on a sweet one about a week ago on cl. Probably for the best though as I really shouldn't be spending the money on that right now.

Hopefully some ot comes up at work soon....then maybe I can get something I really want.

You can just get larger chunks of wood and wet them before putting on the fire. I do that on my Weber Kettle to add some goodness!

Although neither that nor the smoke box will be like a closed 'smoker'...you can still get some nice flaver added with both.