• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Smoking a prime rib for Christmas

BSchmidt1981

Going to make a garlic and pepper studded prime rib for Christmas Eve dinner this year. In addition to this being a new type of meat for me to smoke I look forward to cleaning out the humidor a bit. I hope to get through some of the sticks that I haven't had time to try that I've been wanting to for a while. We shall see how it goes.

That sounds like an excellent selection for a pre Christmas dinner.

I am hoping for my favorite Christmas Eve meal of meatloaf, mashed potatoes and red cabbage. "Show mommy how the piggies eat, That's right, Oink Oink!"
(For those of the uninformed, it's from A Christmas Story)

Merry Christmas to all members of CP.

Dave

Prime Rib sounds great for the Christmas Eve Dinner. I hope it turns out great!

My wife and I decided to do something non traditional for our Christmas day meal this year. We decided on Pulled Pork, so I will spend my Christmas Eve smoking a pork butt while enjoying some fine cigars during the 14 hour smoke.

Merry Christmas!

Smoked prime sounds great but there's no way the wify (or kids) is going to differ from our traditional x-mas lobsta dinna. Have a happy and safe holiday.

That sounds like an excellent selection for a pre Christmas dinner.

I am hoping for my favorite Christmas Eve meal of meatloaf, mashed potatoes and red cabbage. "Show mommy how the piggies eat, That's right, Oink Oink!"
(For those of the uninformed, it's from A Christmas Story)

Merry Christmas to all members of CP.

Dave

Just watch out for the Bumpus's hounds.

I'm not so sure about this. Prime rib is a very tender cut of meat which should be served medium rare. Doesn't seem like it would be suitable for smoking. Could you be more specific in what you're trying to accomplish?

Doc.

I agree with Doc. I've cooked mine over a rotisserie and even broiled it in the oven (after a good sear in a hot cast iron skillet).

Not sure how smoking one would turn out....I'd wonder that it would dry out quite a bit.....??

You might have to put a water pan in the smoker and cook it low/slow, if you want it to turn out.

You might have to put a water pan in the smoker and cook it low/slow, if you want it to turn out.

This is how to do it. My wet smoker never fully cooks anything, even in the summer. I always through whatever I'm cooking in the over to get it temp after 5 to 6 hours of smoking.

A Prime Rib should be cooked to an internal temp. of 124F. Residual heat will bring it to about 130-135. Medium rare.

Doc.

I'm not so sure about this. Prime rib is a very tender cut of meat which should be served medium rare. Doesn't seem like it would be suitable for smoking. Could you be more specific in what you're trying to accomplish?

Doc.

Last year my parents did prime rib in the oven. They ended up getting a late start on putting it in. As a result my mom found a recipe this year that is geared for the smoker. The intent was to have me cook it and bring it over to ultimately save time. We shall see how it goes.

Prime Rib is not really a low and slow cut of meat. You're basically trying to roast it in the smoker at around 325-350 like you would in the oven. I foil the waterpan, but don't put any water in it. You aren't looking for moisture or temperature control from the waterpan. You just want it to catch the drippings so your charcoal doesn't flare up uncontrollably. I leave a probe thermometer in it and cook it to around 125 degrees. I don't like to apply too much smoke to a prime rib. I'm just looking for a slightly smokey flavor to complement the meat, not overpower it. Salt and pepper on the outside, a little smoke and you've got yourself a good meal.

I don't think I can get my smoker up to 350, especially this time of year. At least, not with enough meat in it to make it worth doing. Besides, we smoke meat for Thanksgiving... Christmas is for our shrimp boil! (crawfish are too hard to find this time of year)

I did a 7# yesterday in my smoker. Used mesquite chunks and smoked at 250 until 120 internal. Pulled, wrapped in foil, then a towel and into a cooler until dinner time. Cooler brought it to 132 internal and held it there for over an hour until everyone was ready.

I sure wish I'd have taken pics of the cut, but it was beautiful inside, very juicy, tender and was a huge success! You get a nice touch of smoke flavor that goes awesome with the horseradish. :) This is the 3rd year I've done it, and it's always a winner. Son & I each had a 1 1/2" thick slab. I'm getting hungry again thinking about it!

Well much like GolfNut mine turned out fantastic! Started smoking at around 1:30 and pulled it off at 6:00. Temperature during the process was around 240. I added mesquite chips about every hour or so. Prior to smoking it I poked about a dozen and a half inch deep holes in the meat and slipped a full garlic clove in. I then put olive oil on it followed by a course ground pepper and sea salt "rub".

I must admit I was worried that it would be tough. It turned out absolutely perfect! Going to have to do this again soon...maybe for New Years!

I really enjoy cooking prime rib in my smoker, but like some of you said, its not typically a "low and slow" type of cook. at least I haven't tried it that way yet. Next time I do one I will post up some pictures of the process.

I'm cooking your sauce as I type this (second time, AWESOME!!)...I have a 4 rib roast in the oven waiting for the 124 degree mark. I have 2 people here that want theirs 'well done'...sacrilege!

IMG-20111227-00044.jpg