• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Smoking in the car. . .

Bahianut

Animadvertistine, ubicumque stes, fumum recta in f
I had always been a 1-2 cigar per month in good weather kind of smoker. The desire was there, but the time, environment, and wife just didn't allow for more than the occasional smoke. Six month's ago I changed jobs and now have a 45 min commute. The wheels started turning as I stopped by the local B&M by work after my interview where they offered me the job for a celebration smoke. I figured I could get it in on the ride home, take some back roads and have a treat. Well from that experience, I now range anywhere up to 4 smokes a week!!!

Now as the title explains this is what I've learned to make this work for me.

1. We are fortunate that w have a 2004 Chevy classic (I know VERY cool car) that is really only for my commute. This helps that I'm not smoking in the family daily ride. I do not believe I would do this if I didn't have this set up. It would be better if it had leather, but again, it's a 2004 classic.

2. I have 3-4 different routes to take home depending upon my cigar choice. I can stretch out the drive to just over an hour and not go too far out of the way to waste gas.

3. I almost always drive with the driver's window cracked. My dad is a cig. smoker and I grew up in the back seat smelling Pall-Mall everywhere we went. (I still think this is one of the greatest smells, must be his brand though.) He always has the window cracked even when he wasn't smoking. I guess I picked it up from him. This helps keep the car "aired" out very well.

4. Know the wind direction when parked trying to light your cigar. There is nothing worse than all the smoke not being sucked out of the car, but blown in on you!!! I have a routine and a "spot" that makes for easy lighting and smoke removal. Generally I stop facing south and the west wind helps pull the smoke from the car. ***Big mistake to lower the window all the way here. You only need a small crack no more than 3" as this helps with the draw (car, not cigar), anymore allows the wind to blow back into the car.

5. Timing your smoke. I seem to smoke much faster while driving. You also need to pay attention of stops. Especially when stopped with the wind blowing into the drivers side. This is not the time to take a puff!!!

6. Burn issues. . . This WILL happen. Taking into account the whole concept of pulling smoke out of the car, it is bound to happen, here is what I have figured out. The concept of putting the slow burning side on the bottom, is reversed. I've found that keeping the hot burning side on the bottom seems to be where the smoke is being pulled off and there is less issue or more air to the top of the cigar. I'm not a research person like Wilkey, but it works for me. Bottom line here is don't make this a big deal, keep puffing and enjoy. If you have to touch up, STOP the car. I know this sounds stupid, but use your will power and not let it be too distracting.

7. Ash. This also ties in with burn issues as you should not try to do an ash stand while driving :) The trick here is not to stick your whole hand out the window and not let more than 1/2" build up. OH, and ALWAYS put the ash outside of the car. NEVER in the ash tray. Place just enough cigar out the crack for the ash to blow off. I'm currently debating if it is better to ash at stops rather than on the fly. While driving at speed, the wind seems to play havoc with the burn and can also tear/damage the wrapper. It is much harder to ash (earlier than usual) while stopped, but a simple gentle touch against the window seems to work. The issue with stopped ashing is the ash tends to fall on the car more and I don't like that.

8. Cigar choice. For me, this isn't a DC #4 type of enjoyment (thanks to AVB for getting me hooked on these!!). I generally pick cigars under $5 that I don't care if I have to pitch. Currently I've been enjoying Don Tomas classico maduro rothschild, IT Cameroon legend robusto, Connie #9 natural, and throw in some Padron 2000. (though for some reason these always seem to be bitter and less enjoyable lately.)

9. The smell. Well I have found that most people when I give a ride to don't notice anything. (Yes I ask) I find with the amount of air moving, it isn't too bad unless you try to smoke in stop and go traffic. Febreze does wonders also!!!

Well I'll shut up now. I don't post much, but this is something I've been thinking about for a while now and a way I can hopefully help another BOTL (or BOLT for CC :whistling: ) fine a way to enjoy more smoke!!!

What are your tips and trips/ favorite commute cigar?

I drive and smoke a cigar at least once a week (often more then that).
I disagree that you should smoke a lesser-quality cigar. You should choose cigars appropriate for the length of your trip.

When driving to or from work (usually a 45 to 50 min drive) I will choose a smaller cigar; PAM - Principe, Serie 1926 - #35, VSG - Tres Mystique, etc.
When I’m driving home from a caving trip (generally a 3 to 4 hour drive) I will choose a longer smoke, but of equal quality.

When I drive and smoke I usually drive just a little slower and enjoy the cigar.
I actually find that I smoke a little slower while I drive, savoring the cigar, the music I have on the stereo and generally enjoying the experience.
It makes the mundane task of getting from point A to point B a very enjoyable experience.

Informative tips and tricks guide, I still have yet to try smoking in my car though. I kind of think my wife would kick my ass! The other day I was driving I wanted to have a RP I had in the car with me, but I couldn't pick up the courage. The only other issue I have with smoking in the car is the amount of distraction it creates. Thoughts?

Informative tips and tricks guide, I still have yet to try smoking in my car though. I kind of think my wife would kick my ass! The other day I was driving I wanted to have a RP I had in the car with me, but I couldn't pick up the courage. The only other issue I have with smoking in the car is the amount of distraction it creates. Thoughts?

I can't bring myself to do it either. No way. I'm a huge car guy though, i can't imagine my car smelling like smoke, or an accidental ash burn in the seats etc etc...

just can't do it, plenty of times i've wanted to, but never can bring myself to do it

That is why I stick to the good but not great stuff. I want to enjoy the taste and relax, but I get distracted too much with nicer sticks. I had a training in Indy on Friday and stopped and picked up a LDF Coronado for the trip home and struggled the whole way home with trying to pay attention to both driving and a wonderful stick I had not had before. I guess if you have a higher end go to smoke that you know what to expect this wouldn't be a problem like Junkman said.

I smoke sometimes in my ride, but as you can see by the pictures I don't really have many issues with the smell lingering...

Doors and windows? Psh! I scoff at the idea.

I've found that cracking open the driver's side rear passenger window helps a lot, too.

I never smoke while driving. I just don't enjoy it as much. If I ever smoke in my truck the windows are all the down and I make sure no smoke blows in. There is still a bit of a smell that lingers, but that never lasts more than a couple of days.

Bobken

Live by it.... I smoke profusely in my car.

A small car sized ionic air cleaner will do wonders when left in over night.

Wabash just a shot up 24 from me.

i smoke on my way to work almost daily. i put vent shades on my truck so i can leave the window cracked at work. helps it to air out. i run with passenger side down an inch and heat so air comes in at floor and pushes smoke up and out.
i smoke lower quality while i drive because you cant get lost in the cigar and drive at the same time.

Wabash just a shot up 24 from me.

i smoke on my way to work almost daily. i put vent shades on my truck so i can leave the window cracked at work. helps it to air out. i run with passenger side down an inch and heat so air comes in at floor and pushes smoke up and out.
i smoke lower quality while i drive because you cant get lost in the cigar and drive at the same time.

Same here. Sometimes I'll close the window until the smoke starts getting "in the way" then crack the window long enough to clear it out again. Having the scent linger is something I typically enjoy and I only smoke in my truck on the way home from work.

The highlight of my day, besides arriving home to see my wife and kids, is sparking up a stick for the ride home. It's beyond habitual, bordering on ritualistic. It is too cold in the Northeast to actually enjoy a cigar outdoors this time of year once I arrive home. The only opportunity I have is in the car for the approx. 1 1/2 hr. drive home from work everyday and I thoroughly enjoy it. Besides, by smoking my cigar during this time, none of the short time I have to spend with my family once I do get home in the evening is impacted by my cigar smoking. It's funny, I used to hate the traffic but now, depending on my stick of choice, I sometimes look forward to it. :laugh: