• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Smoking preferidos

jcritt

This may end up being a boring read for some but please indulge my scattered thoughts on this shape if you are none too familliar with them.

I have often been questioned on the reasoning for clipping both ends of this particular vitola. So......I will start at the beginning.

First there was a big BANG. Then the earth cooled. Then the dinosaurs came. Then came Cuba. The preferido shape is one of the oldest of the perfecto cigars. The design of the cigar allows for a slow developing flavor of the tobaccos blended and if smoked properly will provide changes in flavors and strength intensities not found in any other shape of cigar. I clip the foot to prevent having to pull smoke through the body too hard which can cause moisture build up and cracking of the wrapper. It also prevents the cigar from becoming too "hot" which will make your cigar bitter and unsmokeable. I am sure everyone here has at some point experienced a charcoaling efffect that makes a cigar taste like doodoo. That means you are most likely smoking it too fast. This can happen with this particular shape and turns some people off to them. I just got done smoking a Gurkha Centurian that was outstanding to say the least. I used to hate these cigars but that was before I learned how to smoke them.
Here is my Preferido 101:
1. Feel the cigar before you light it. If it feels mushy or soft give it some dry box time. Preferidos tend to hold more moisture for some reason and I find they burn much better at a lower RH. Around 60 to 62%

2. Clip the foot. It will allow for a faster start and prevent your cigar from getting too hot and bitter.

3. Try not to double or triple pull smoke through the body of the cigar. That causes the cigar to get hot and bitter. If you find the barrel of the cigar getting hot put it down for a minute and let it cool off. You will be rewarded with rich flavors.

4.Take the time to smoke it slow and allow the flavors to build toward the middle of the cigar.

5. Sit back and enjoy the changes in flavor as they affect different areas of your palate.

With a little patience you too will become a fan of these chubby tasty vitolas.

:thumbs:

So poking a hole in the middle with a straw and lighting both ends is the wrong way to do it?? :(

Wished I would have read this about 2 hrs. ago. It was very good but suffered some of the symptoms you described. Now I just have to find another one.

I cut the head just like i would any torpedo/belicoso and take my time with it. It might canoe a little bit but if you slow down and let it correct itself you'll have a nice razor sharp burn.