• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Smoking

Shamrocker

Sheik Yerbouti
Has anyone tried and had success smoking meat on a gas BBQ using wood pellets? I was given a gift set of BBQ'rs Delight wood pellets and a cast iron smoke box, and would love to use it to make some fantastic meals... but I don't want to either A) waste the wood pellets, or more importantly B) waste good meat. Also having never smoked anything before I'd like to get some good tips on what has worked for you in the past.
Thanks!

you can get the smoke flavor that way but you can not get a smoke ring on your meat. best advice is to read online in regards to smoking. I personaly use smokingmeatforums.com there is alot of knowlege on those boards but also some blowhards just like every board out there.

Sure you can get a smoke ring, i used to do slow smoked ribs on my gas grill, before i got my BGE. You need to setup some water pans and a few other mods.

Check out:

http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_techni...rill_setup.html

Look under "Techniques" "Best Gas Grill Setup".

I will admit i have never done brisket or butt on my gas grill but ribs and fish can be done for sure!

I use a gas all the time for all kinds of meat and fish works great like he said use water bowls and have it around 200 225 personally I dont like pellets but will cut smaller pieces of wood.

It's tough to do because a big part of the magic is a slow roasting, smoky indirect heat. A gas grill doesn't usually afford you an easy way to do this. It can be done as others have mentioned, but sometimes difficult to pull off.

Good Luck.