• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

So, I went golfing this weekend...

martinman

And their humi, was packed with ISOM sticks.. What gives? There was some blurb about legal importing on the outside of the rather large humidor - it looked pretty official too.

Anyway, being a noob, I'm wondering about the legality of all of this.

Don't know exactly what their deal is, however there is one golf course here that has a humi full of Cuban cigars. But it was mostly the popular stuff, which kinda makes me wonder not so much about the legality but the authenticity of the whole thing. I did have one of the Cohiba robustos and it tasted really good, but still I dunno?

There are legal ways to get Cuban cigars into the United States. However, most, if not all have to do with diplomatic channels or expatriots. I'm not clear on the rules for non-citizens, so I won't go there. Now, I'm sure I'm missing some information here (someone jump in if you know), but I think those are the two legal channels. Anyway, I know for a fact that it is illegal to sell them. The "Trading with the Enemies Act" specifically forbids the exchange of American currency for Cuban goods...except in those special circumstances. Even if they got them into the country legally, they should not be able to seel them.

Am I on track here FOGs?

Anyway, I'm with golfgar...I'd be concerned more about their authenticity than their legality. ;)

I know of a place in the CHicago burbs that sells Cohibas for like $50 a box...all varieties, including glass top.

They don't advertise it, but they're obviously fake.

There are a couple courses around here that have "Cohiba" cigars in humidors, none of which are real. I'm not sure which course you were at, OR whether they were legit, but I doubt it.

well, I didn't check to see if they were pre embargo deals... They were expensive though - $10-$24. Some brands I saw CAO and Romeo & Juliet. All in all, there were about 8-12 boxes.

The googling I did mentioned a few ways to get them into the US (politician, approved trip, etc.), but everything I saw strictly forbid selling them... Another strange thing I found was that the cuban tobacco was legal as long as the tobacco wasn't grown in cuba. Meaning, the seed could be cuban, but it can't grow in cuba.

hmm...

Yeah, if you examine a lot of cigars sold in dominican, they claim to be of cuban seed...

At least they did when I was there!

MilesMingusMonk said:
Are you sure it wasn't just a bunch of Pinar brand cigars?

"pre-embargo tobacco.....legal cubans!" :rolleyes:
[snapback]194115[/snapback]​

saying pinar is like using a four letter word. They are just nasty. ;)

I ran across this very thing this weekend in Reno NV. After finishing the front 9 I went into the club house to freshen up my 12 pack and noticed a humidor full of Cohiba cigars.
Feeling generous and rather high from drinking 6 or so beers in the hot sun I decided to buy on of these $18.00 cigars.
I had the guy pick through two or three different cigars before I found one with a wrapper that didn't look like some dog had it whirling around in his mouth, took it back to my golf cart and fired it up on my way to the next hole.
The second I lit this cigar I was pleasantly pleased, it was just as nasty as I thought it would be. I took a few puffs and threw it on the ground like a broken tee and never looked back.
Obviously there is some outfit that sells these fake Cubans to these golf courses across the states. And of course there's always some stupid idiot willing to pay just to find out what he already knows (like me) ???

It reminds me of going to NY and seeing those guys on the corner who sell DVD’s of movies that have only been out in the theater for 2 days.

Rich

Ironworker said:
It reminds me of going to NY and seeing those guys on the corner who sell DVD’s of movies that have only been out in the theater for 2 days.

The good 'merchants' have the DVD's 2 weeks before the movie is out in the theatres :p

At least you know they are lower quality copies and they don't cost as much as the real thing (or more).

IgwanaRob said:
Ironworker said:

The good 'merchants' have the DVD's 2 weeks before the movie is out in the theatres :p

At least you know they are lower quality copies and they don't cost as much as the real thing (or more).
[snapback]200185[/snapback]​

Geez, these bootleg DVD's are usually crap. My fathers buys them for $5 (has hundreds) and watches them on his portable DVD player. They are surprisingly clear on the smaller screen but forget trying to watch it on a big screen. Most of the time you can see people in the theatre it was filmed in, get up in the middle of the movie to go pee. :p

Shibumi said:
IgwanaRob said:
Ironworker said:

[snapback]200185[/snapback]​

Geez, these bootleg DVD's are usually crap. My fathers buys them for $5 (has hundreds) and watches them on his portable DVD player. They are surprisingly clear on the smaller screen but forget trying to watch it on a big screen. Most of the time you can see people in the theatre it was filmed in, get up in the middle of the movie to go pee. :p
[snapback]200203[/snapback]​

Two words: DVD Screener ;) I had Lord of the Rings the same week they came out, and I had the first Spiderman a week and a half before it was released. Image quality is near perfect, but the audio stinks compared to the real thing. I don't even bother anymore, too many movies to watch in full quality with the lazy convenience of Netflix :)

martinman, I see that you are from Dearborn, MI. Did you by any chance happen to play at the TPC at Dearborn when you spotted these supposed ISOM's?

If so, I work at TPC at Southwind in Memphis and they are a 3000ct. Tower Humidor in the Player's Grille that is chocked full of Monte #2s that are obviously Dom. Reb's, RyJ Tubos, Te Amos, and then there are these $30-$45 "Pre-Embargo 1924" Cuban cigars by Gurkha.

I obviously do not have the bankroll to smoke a $15 let alone $45 cigar, so I have no clue as to the authenticity of all of this.

But I am assuming if it was TPC at Dearborn, most TPC courses operate in the same fashion, that those were Pre-Embargo Cubans as well.

Very interesting display none-the-less, complete with a restaurant style menu to help you pick your stick.

Back