• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sobremesa Cigars

raymb1

Back into cigars after many years. Really like Steve Saka's (Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust) cigars. In particular the Mi Querida cigars.

Steve Saka and his new line up are fantastic!!! Huge fan of the Sin Compromiso and even a bigger fan of the Umbagog not just for the taste but also the price tag.

My son is an on-line friend of Steve. He told me go and meet Steve at the Old Virginia Tobacco Co., last year. I went and met Steve, very nice man and he gifted me one of his Unicorn cigars. Haven't smoked it yet, letting it age. I've been smoking the Mi Queridas. Very nice cigar.

Sooo... has anyone with more than a week here tried this cigar brand?

I’ve had a sombremesa it was a couple years ago. It wasn’t that memorable.

Saka's cigars, at least to my palate, are among the stronger, darker Nicaraguan blends that I've come across. If that's what is in your wheelhouse, you'll like them. Different strokes for different folks, right..?? Smoke what you like, like what you smoke.....

I haven't had too much of his Dunbarton stuff, which he's having made at Joya de Nicaragua. The Sombremesa Cervantes Fino (6.25x46) was very good with stereotypical Nica flavors. The Mi Querida Ancho Largo (6x52) was a little more one-dimensional earthy with a notable nic kick.

There's a recently-purchased Sin Comprimiso Selección Intrepido (5.6x46) resting in my singles drawer. I'll probably get around to smoking that fall-ish.

Saka's been the darling of the blogosphere ever since he departed Drew Estate. It's cool that he started his own company, but it's been continually, somewhat artificially hyped by the bloggers' incessant focus on reviewing new cigars and only new cigars.

I largely respect what Saka's doing--but I'm with Tom--outside the occasional change-of-pace cigar, it's mostly not suited to my palate either.

I hear ya! Me thinks this is advertising.
Sure it's advertising, anyone starting out a new line would do just that.

Steve's got a good story to tell. I've smoked a decent selection from most of his marcas; Sobremesa, Mi Querida, Todos Las Dias, Umbagog, and I just picked up a sampler of Sin Compromiso. Construction wise, they're among the best cigars I've ever had, no kidding. Draw and overall construction are really good; it's no doubt a quality cigar. If you have any familiarity with the Liga Privada line, you basically know what you're going to get with these smokes. To my palate they are uniformly a very dark, strong to really strong cigar with the more or less typical Nicaraguan profile. Todo Las Dias was really strong, but they say so up front so no problem there. I find them to be a rather one dimensional cigar, but it's a good dimension, so it is what it is. I've had fun sampling them, and I've enjoyed trying them out as that's part of the journey. But, will I go 'deep' on them and keep them around.....not likely. The Umbagog goes for a very reasonable price, and for the profile, it's a good cigar. They come in a 10 pack, so the tariff there isn't prohibitive. They're just not the cigars that I like to smoke everyday anymore, but for the occasional change up, sure, they're a good one. Like I said above, smoke what you like, and like what you smoke. And, if this is what you like, my guess is you'll like these a lot.
Saka's been the darling of the blogosphere ever since he departed Drew Estate. It's cool that he started his own company, but it's been continually, somewhat artificially hyped by the bloggers' incessant focus on reviewing new cigars and only new cigars.

I largely respect what Saka's doing--but I'm with Tom--outside the occasional change-of-pace cigar, it's mostly not suited to my palate either.

Agreed 100%. Credit where credit is due; Steve is using the social media outlets to his advantage. Overhyped.....ehh, probably somewhat. They're good, maybe really good cigars, but....that's it. Think Liga #9 and you get the picture.

As the guy says, one man's opinion......B.B.S.

Last edited: