• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

SoCal Smokers...

Danforz

Recently, most my favorite smoking spots (think Coffee Bean) were shut down because of a new law in a number of Southern California cities. Smoking was no longer permitted within 20 feet of any establishment which sold food or drinks. Restaurants, coffee shops, etc. all banned cigarettes as well as cigars. But this weekend I may have found some hope.

This law was recently applied to Santa Monica as well, where I was planning on hosting a local herf. I had held such an event at the Shangri La hotel before because they have a beautiful and heated roof top patio. But this time I got an email suggesting that this law was enacted there... however, all patrons who were smoking had to stay within the enclosure on the patio. Apparently, at least in Santa Monica, you can't smoke in a public place which serves food unless its within an enclosed location for a private event.

Luckily, the term enclosed is used somewhat loosely. The "enclosure" was just some glass that surrounded the center of the patio. There was no ceiling (obviously it’s a patio) and deadly second hand smoke was free to bellow out from the enclosed area. So, long story short, you can still smoke within 15 feet of a food/drink establishment, in Santa Monica, so long as it is "enclosed" and private. Hope this information helps!