• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sol Cubano Series B

T2P

Green Horn
Sol Cubano Series B Robusto

When I first began smoking, a fellow BOTL generously set me up with a large assortment of cigars including some that he deemed as daily smokers. A dozen of these were the Sol Cubano Series B’s. Being far more focused on premium smokes at the time, I stored these away in my humidor. After gifting several of them to infrequent smoking friends and family along the way I discovered that almost everyone who tried them deemed it an enjoyable session. While traveling recently, I had a failed attempt (under filled) at my first PSD4 and the only other smokes with me were ones that I had planned on giving out, one of which was the Series B. Thinking it the perfect opportunity, I broke one out in order to see what everyone was so pleased with.

Previously, I mentioned that this smoke was selected because it was a backup to the PSD4 that I abandoned halfway through. The irony of this is that after inspecting the Sol Cubano, it looks extremely familiar. Grabbing the band from the PSD4, it strikes me that the Sol Cubano has to be an attempt to imitate the more widely sought PSD4 because the bands are almost identical with only two exceptions. Obviously, the first exception is the printed name of the cigar. The second is that the Sol Cubano band sports a bold blue field while the PSD4 is red. Outside of that the font, line placement, and gold embossing are virtually identical. On inspection, the wrapper of the Sol Cubano is well formed. Carmel in color, the smoothness is marred by one sizable vein running the length of the cigar along with some spotting along the length.

After a sharp cut, the prenotes are of sweet hay and a barnyard scent. On lighting, the sweetness carries over and a mild tobacco flavor takes the lead. The tobacco is not the most tasteful and is somewhat akin to cigarette tobacco. The burn is slightly wavy but by no means out of control and remains consistent. Following behind is an ash that is very light in color approaching stark white. A loose composition fails to allow it to hang on for more than an inch throughout the entire smoke. Continuing on, the flavor never really changes much. At about the halfway mark the first real change occurs when a nuttier note joins the original sweetness. The smoke finishes its last inch without much fanfare as it reaches a bitter point.

Overall, I can see why the BOTL who gifted these recommended them as a daily smoke as it is not a cigar that proves more enjoyable by setting time aside to pay close attention. With that said, I can see where a newer or infrequent smoker would find this pleasant. It is not full bodied so there is no threat of having it sneak up to surprise you. Its mild flavor would also prove unoffending to a less experienced participant. Personally, I enjoy more flavorful and bold smokes but at about $2 per cigar it is one that would prove beneficial to keep around for mowing the lawn or donating to someone who would not necessarily appreciate a flavor bomb of a smoke. Quality standards are also much lower, as you can observe in the last picture.

yP5290141.jpg

P5290152.jpg

P5290154.jpg

P5290155.jpg

Great review! I see what you mean about the bands, too.

BTW, The Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet Fundadore is one of my daily smokes. The Cuban Cabinet is much like the Oliva Serie O blend. It needs some additional aging, IMO, but a great full bodied Nic Puro.

Interesting take on it Vortex. Might have to keep an eye out for them to see how they stack up.

X2 on the Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinets. I keep some around all the time for a nice smoke.

I also got interested in the Series B and bought a 5'ver from CI. I couldn't finish any of them but at least my curiosity is now satisfied.

I think it was Cigar Inspector?

Good catch thechenman. All of the reviews are my own original content. I post them at both locations to give as many people as possible the chance to read them. Shortly after I started at CP I spoke with both Rod here and Inspector at CI regarding the best way to go about this. The ultimate decision that everyone agreed on was that reposting the entire review would be much better rather than just a link to the opposite source.

Thanks for inquiring, hope you liked the review in both locations ;) .

For those of you who like the Cabinets, what other sticks would you compare them to?

For those of you who like the Cabinets, what other sticks would you compare them to?

Since taste is subjective, I'm going to compare using price as the point of my reply. CI always has the mega-sampler for $60 for 20 cigars. That's a $3 cigar which, if you find it on C-Bid, can be bought even lower most times.
Try Carlos Torano's "best of" sampler on CI, they break down to $3 each. I like that maker's blends too.

Or Devils Weed, which is even cheaper, albeit more mild for my tastes than the Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinets line.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Since taste is subjective, I'm going to compare using price as the point of my reply. CI always has the mega-sampler for $60 for 20 cigars. That's a $3 cigar which, if you find it on C-Bid, can be bought even lower most times.
Try Carlos Torano's "best of" sampler on CI, they break down to $3 each. I like that maker's blends too.

Or Devils Weed, which is even cheaper, albeit more mild for my tastes than the Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinets line.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Thanks for the advice Dave. That does help some.