• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Some observations of a newbie.

papabear

I'm still as green as grass when it comes to cigars, but I've tried, in the few weeks that I've been smoking, to try a variety of cigars to determine my likes and dislikes. I thought I'd post some early conclusions that I've arrived at.

So far, most of the sticks I've tried have been medium to a little on the mild side of medium, with a couple of very mild ones in the mix. I had got a sampler of Padillas in that had a couple of full bodied smokes in it, and I was a little leery of trying them at this point, thinking that they may be too strong for me. I smoked the Miami tonight and loved it. It was stronger than anything I'd smoked up to now, but was still very mellow. I did get a slight buzz about 2/3 of the way through it, but not bad at all, and it was gone by the end. It was a churchill, and a little longer than I really liked. The 5.5 to 6.5 lengths are, so far, more to my liking.

I've also discovered that I like the smaller ring gauges. The 44 to 48 gauges have been the most enjoyable cigars I've smoked. I haven't smoked anything over a 50 that I liked at all. To be fair, though, the larger sticks have also been the very mild ones, and I really didn't care for that. I might like a larger one with a little more body.

Am I going about this the right way? Any comments or suggestions from those more experienced would be welcome.

I appreciate this forum, and I've learned a ton just reading the posts on here.

Thank you to those who go to the trouble to keep this up and running.

I think it's a misconception that newbies should only smoke mild cigars, frankly. Some people like strong flavors, some don't. I love espresso and dark chocolate and olives and curries and stinky cheese, so when I finally moved up, years ago, from RyJ Bullies to things like VSGs, Tats, Opus, GOF, San Cristobal, and such . . . well, it was a revelation and I've never looked back.

Those Padilla Miamis are a gem---try the torpedo and the corona gorda, especially. I think they're the best two vitolas in the line myself. And if you like those, by all means try some San Cristobals! :love:

~Boar

I think it's a misconception that newbies should only smoke mild cigars, frankly. Some people like strong flavors, some don't. I love espresso and dark chocolate and olives and curries and stinky cheese, so when I finally moved up, years ago, from RyJ Bullies to things like VSGs, Tats, Opus, GOF, San Cristobal, and such . . . well, it was a revelation and I've never looked back.

Those Padilla Miamis are a gem---try the torpedo and the corona gorda, especially. I think they're the best two vitolas in the line myself. And if you like those, by all means try some San Cristobals! :love:

~Boar

I couldn't agree more. If you like full flavored foods, hot sauce etc. you will find yourself heading the way of the maduro and stronger smokes. I have been finding I am liking some naturals of late though. Padron 26 , 64,

~Boar

I've been thinking about trying some cigars from the San Cristobal line. Do you prefer the regular line over the Seleccion Del Sol? Is there much of a difference?

Diversify your smokes as much as you possibly can. Take advantage of samplers and mixed bags whenever possible instead of 5'ers and most certainly not boxes. If you have not yet done it, the Newbie Sampler on this site is a fantastic resource. Make sure to tell them what you posted here an that you are open to trying pretty much anything.

. . . by all means try some San Cristobals! :love:

~Boar

I've been thinking about trying some cigars from the San Cristobal line. Do you prefer the regular line over the Seleccion Del Sol? Is there much of a difference?

I'm at the end of the freeway and not on the way to anywhere here, so we haven't actually even SEEN the Seleccion del Sols at our one and only B&M yet. :laugh:

My understanding is that they're not as strong but taste great. The regular line Fabuloso and Guajiro are amazing cigars IMHO. You should see my stack of empty boxes!

~Boar

To every thing there is a season, a cigar and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
wink.gif

Doc

Am I going about this the right way? Any comments or suggestions from those more experienced would be welcome.
Absolutely. Try a variety and perhaps even jot down your likes and dislikes in a little notepad. The phrase "smoke what you like, like what you smoke" comes to mind.

If you haven't done so, the noobie sampler trade is a great way to get a good assortment of smokes, hand picked by an experienced member. Easy to recommend.....
thumbs-up.gif

Also, if you peruse the Retailer Forum, you'll see a number of guys that have B&M's and are regular posters, as well as being solid contributors to the forums. I think you could give most any of them a call and they'd be happy to put a sampler together for you.

Lastly, don't be surprised if your tastes change quite a bit over time. That's to be expected.....
cool.gif

Most of all, have fun - B.B.S.

PapaB... while Doc's stuck turn turn turn-ing, I'll echo what BBS said. Smoke what you like...try lots of samplers and talk to your B&M about what you've tried and liked...and especially what you didn't like, they should be able to guide you to more smokes that you will enjoy. Much like Boar guiding you from the Padilla Miami's to the San Cristobal line... which I can say is a fave of mine.

Cheers,

R

PapaB... while Doc's stuck turn turn turn-ing, I'll echo what BBS said. Smoke what you like...try lots of samplers and talk to your B&M about what you've tried and liked...and especially what you didn't like, they should be able to guide you to more smokes that you will enjoy. Much like Boar guiding you from the Padilla Miami's to the San Cristobal line... which I can say is a fave of mine.

Cheers,

R

The B&M is one problem. We're over an hour from any of the larger towns that have tobacco shops, and usually only go there once a month or so. The only place in our local town with any 'gars is a little liquor store. She keeps a small selection of decent sticks on hand, but she knows less about cigars than I do, which sure ain't much. :p

I definitely want to try some of the suggestions that have been made. The San Cristobals are especially intriguing.

Cabaiguan Guapos Juniors in maduro or natural, either is a super creamy, delicious and delightful smoke that isn't high in the nicotine department. One of my favorite morning smokes with a cup of Killer Beans coffee. :thumbs:

Sounds like you'll be going the route of C.I., JRs, and Holts. Pick up some of the sampler packs or a single or fiver of the smokes you want to try...just be sure if you purchase from these guys you give the sticks a couple days rest in your humi before lighting up so they get back to the right RH!

Good Luck!

R

The B&M is one problem. We're over an hour from any of the larger towns that have tobacco shops, and usually only go there once a month or so. The only place in our local town with any 'gars is a little liquor store. She keeps a small selection of decent sticks on hand, but she knows less about cigars than I do, which sure ain't much. :p

Holt's, Atlantic, Jack Schwartz, and Serious Cigars have all been very good to me on my online orders---large selections, singles/fivers/samplers available, prompt service, excellent quality and care of the cigars they ship.

In addition, there are quite a few vendors/retailers HERE . . . I'd list 'em, but I'm afraid I'd leave one or two out by mistake. But I've purchased from at least three of them, and they've all been absolutely outstanding. True BOTLs who just happen to be in the business.

I'm a fan of supporting your local B&M, and I spend a lot of money at mine, but quality online vendors need love too. :laugh:

~Boar

Holt's, Atlantic, Jack Schwartz, and Serious Cigars have all been very good to me on my online orders---large selections, singles/fivers/samplers available, prompt service, excellent quality and care of the cigars they ship.

In addition, there are quite a few vendors/retailers HERE . . . I'd list 'em, but I'm afraid I'd leave one or two out by mistake. But I've purchased from at least three of them, and they've all been absolutely outstanding. True BOTLs who just happen to be in the business.

I'm a fan of supporting your local B&M, and I spend a lot of money at mine, but quality online vendors need love too. :laugh:

~Boar

The man speaks the truth about the vendors here. I've dealt with quite a few of them, and I've had nothing short of an excellent experience with any of them. Ask any of these guys here to put together a sampler for you based off of what you said above, and they will be more than happy to help you out. Just the other day I decided to call up one of them and say, "Hey bud, I want to try something new, send me a fiver of something new and tasty." Needless to say, not only did he laugh and say, "Alright!", but what arrived was delicious!

Give the newbie sampler thread a shot, hit up a couple of the vendors here, and keep notes of what you like about the various cigars you try, but more importantly, what you don't like about them. Don't forget that as you smoke, and as time goes on, a cigar you previously didn't like because it was, "too spicy" or "too strong", may end up becoming a new favorite as your tastes develop and change. The first time I smoked an Oliva V I hated the spicy, overpowering tobacco flavor, but now I love 'em.

Again, I'd give the Cabaiguan Guapos Juniors a shot. Most of the guys at work that I smoke with every Friday are lightweights when it comes to cigars, and they love these things. Small ring gauge and a short length makes for a great short smoke that won't break the bank.

I had a baker's dozen sampler on order when I started this thread, but I couldn't remember everything that was coming in it.

Weeeellllll, it got here today, and there's a 5 Vegas Miami, and a Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic, and, and, and, a Tat Havana VI, and, and, AND a San Cristobal! :0

They're resting in the humidor as we speak. Must resist, must resist.

Why are my hands shaking? :love: :D