• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Something of an Informal Bolivar Royal Corona Review

XxMerlinxX

I am a leaf on the wind...
I completed my open water scuba certification the other day, so thought I would celebrate with something a little special. At first I wasn't going to write a review, hence the crappy cell phone pic, but I felt obligated since this is my first "namebrand" ISOM (I've had Johnny-O's), plus this was a gift from my good BOTL Greg (Kingantz) from back home.

IMAG0115.jpg

The construction on this stick was pretty good, only two small veins in the wrapper and it had just the right amount of draw once it had been clipped. Speaking of the draw, it was very sweet and reminded me of a glass of sweet tea, I almost didn't want to light it. But light it I did, I toasted the foot and then took a puff to get it started. The first puff had a very woody body to it with some spice and a nice aged tobacco flavor. I put it down to let it rest a minute before continuing on, then took a drink of ice water to clean the palate. Personally I find that the first one or two draws is never really all that characteristic of what the cigar is really going to taste like, maybe it has something to do with the cedar or whatever else you have in your humi. Who knows?

Anyway, after getting everything situated I really got down to smoking it and I'd say that the flavor was something of a sweet aged tobacco, a little woodiness, and some spice like cinnamon. It was surprising, I was expecting a much stronger cigar and I'd say that this was somewhere in the middle, definitely a "medium" bodied smoke. The smoke output itself was fairly limited, thankfully the flavor was still there though. It kept these characteristics all the way down until I had smoked it to about an inch, where it started getting nasty and I let it go out.

Overall I enjoyed it, but as it is this isn't something I would put into regular rotation considering the difficulty and price of obtaining them. Thanks again to Greg for letting me try this, next time I'll have better pictures!

Enjoyed reading it!

I completed my open water scuba certification the other day, so thought I would celebrate with something a little special. At first I wasn't going to write a review, hence the crappy cell phone pic, but I felt obligated since this is my first "namebrand" ISOM (I've had Johnny-O's), plus this was a gift from my good BOTL Greg (Kingantz) from back home.

IMAG0115.jpg

The construction on this stick was pretty good, only two small veins in the wrapper and it had just the right amount of draw once it had been clipped. Speaking of the draw, it was very sweet and reminded me of a glass of sweet tea, I almost didn't want to light it. But light it I did, I toasted the foot and then took a puff to get it started. The first puff had a very woody body to it with some spice and a nice aged tobacco flavor. I put it down to let it rest a minute before continuing on, then took a drink of ice water to clean the palate. Personally I find that the first one or two draws is never really all that characteristic of what the cigar is really going to taste like, maybe it has something to do with the cedar or whatever else you have in your humi. Who knows?

Anyway, after getting everything situated I really got down to smoking it and I'd say that the flavor was something of a sweet aged tobacco, a little woodiness, and some spice like cinnamon. It was surprising, I was expecting a much stronger cigar and I'd say that this was somewhere in the middle, definitely a "medium" bodied smoke. The smoke output itself was fairly limited, thankfully the flavor was still there though. It kept these characteristics all the way down until I had smoked it to about an inch, where it started getting nasty and I let it go out.

Overall I enjoyed it, but as it is this isn't something I would put into regular rotation considering the difficulty and price of obtaining them. Thanks again to Greg for letting me try this, next time I'll have better pictures!

Way to go Nathan! Glad to see you put fire to it, one of my favorite Cuban marcas. BOLIS! :D

Thanks for the great review! These are one of my favorite cigars.

Great review. The pictured cigar looks like a corona or lonsdale. Slightly longer and thinner ring gauge than a robusto.