• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Something to celebrate a big event...

Jamie76

So the wife and I are expecting our first baby in June.

I am looking to buy a bottle of something to celebrate the birth with some friends. Unfortunately, my preferences are so varied, I can't settle on anything. I love brandy/cognac, as much as I like rum, whiskey, bourbon etc.

It doesn't necessarily have to be bing $$$, however I'm looking for something special. I had thought about going expensive with Remy Martin Louis XIII. Unique, but special? I think I'd be paying more for the bottle than the experience of the cognac.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Louis XIII is quite good, but I also don't think it's worth the price. Have you considered good champagne? Do your friends drink brandy/cognac? What about other spirits? I would be very reluctant to spend a bunch of money on a bottle if they are not likely to appreciate the difference.

I have no clue, but I will say that you should buy something that you know you love. No surprises that way. Sort of like the idea of never trying a new recipe for a dinner with guests.
If you did want to branch out, then My first choice going on something I have never tasted, but have heard consistent rave reviews, would be Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon 15 yr old. I hear the Rye is pretty sublime too, but I am still researching that, so, can't speak for the ages avail.

Can't go wromg with pappy 15 if you can find it), I would also suggest Rock Hills Farm (around the same price point as pappy 15 but it's a lot easier to find). As for Scotch, I really been enjoying Blavenie 12 doublewood (again around the same price point as the two bourbons). How about a good wine?

I would have a hard time giving Louis XIII to my buddies that want to mix it with diet coke or the like. It's not that I mind sharing and I understand the point of diminishing returns but a $1600-$2000 bottle would be wasted on 99% of the people I know. The % isn't much different at $100.00 honestly but it at least seems like less of a waste.

Total Wine on Oracle Rd. has a bottle of Van Winkle 23 as of Sat for $249.99. I'd consider that both unique and special.

I would have a hard time giving Louis XIII to my buddies that want to mix it with diet coke or the like. It's not that I mind sharing and I understand the point of diminishing returns but a $1600-$2000 bottle would be wasted on 99% of the people I know. The % isn't much different at $100.00 honestly but it at least seems like less of a waste.

Total Wine on Oracle Rd. has a bottle of Van Winkle 23 as of Sat for $249.99. I'd consider that both unique and special.

You are probably right. While my friends have refined tastes, it's a lot of money to spend on a bottle. How many diapers would that buy? :rolleyes:

Aberlour a'bunadh . . . it's my "special occasion" bottle every time. Cask strength, oloroso sherry casked single malt Scotch, and an absolutely sublime experience.

~Boar