• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

sooner or later embargo will end

mementomori

Democratic Cuba will exist in the neer future , no doubts about it , embargo will be lifted one day but imagine all the lawsuits in new democratic Cuba over all the cigar brands that use to be in private hands . I see that today in Poland where capitalism is still pretty new . Lawsuits and lawsuits over land , buildings , businesses , name brands , all that was taken by communists from private hands . Will cigar prices skyrocket , will production stop untill courts are able to figure out who owns what ? I think it will be a cigar mess or maybe not , but i'm pretty sure quality and prices will go up .

Don't hold your breath.

The Trading with the Enemy Act will stay in place for a VERY LONG time, 20 years at least.

I could see Obama ending the embargo...McCain not so much however. It would be nice not having to drive to Canada for smokes.

Once Cuban cigars are allowed back on the market, I think quality control standards will go down, as they will flood the market with these smokes. What will be interesting to see is how the NC companies take Cuban tobacco and blend it with other tobaccos from Nicaragua, DR, etc...

Don't hold your breath.

The Trading with the Enemy Act will stay in place for a VERY LONG time, 20 years at least.
We have a standing bet of 5 yeas Bill, I think 18 months have gone by, so I'm left with 3.5 years.

I'm going to enjoy your best smokes. :rolleyes:

Brian

I also would love to see this embargo lifted, at least in my life time, I'm 27. I just don't see that happening. Like stated above, I also, would not like driving to Canada to get Cubans, although I've only done it once, crossing the border scares me.

IMHO, I think it will happen in not so distant future...within 10 years. Also, I don't think it will have a tramatic effect on the CC industry either...they are much better these days in planning AND producing. I know they have incorporated a plan already, just in case the market does open up, and I really believe they will be ready when it happens...................................................................slowly
, but surely. My .02

Once Cuban cigars are allowed back on the market, I think quality control standards will go down, as they will flood the market with these smokes. What will be interesting to see is how the NC companies take Cuban tobacco and blend it with other tobaccos from Nicaragua, DR, etc...
I'm afraid it's a looooong time off. I think the gaming industry lobbyists (among others) have very selfish financial reasons to keep the embargo in place. Good humanitarian moves unfortunately won't have much to do with it.

When it happens, I think Israel has hit it on the nose:
- Demand for the "forbidden fruit" will skyrocket and in an attempt to keep up, Cuban cigar quality control goes to hell. Plans or not, they simply wont' be able to keep up with the short term demand.
- Even though the quality will likely go seriously down, the price will not due to unprecedented demand by the "I've always wanted to try a Cuban cigar" crowd.
- Once that CC's are legal, expect a flood of fakes to hit the shores.

....so for at least the short term, we'll be hit with crappy overpriced cigars, with a ton of very well done fakes infiltrating the vendors and dealers all over the country. Of course the situation will correct itself, but it will take time and the problem of fakes won't go away nearly as quickly, if ever.

....Makes a Padron look better and better all the time.... :p

Regards - B.B.S.

....so for at least the short term, we'll be hit with crappy overpriced cigars, with a ton of very well done fakes infiltrating the vendors and dealers all over the country. Of course the situation will correct itself, but it will take time and the problem of fakes won't go away nearly as quickly, if ever.

If that's true, I guess now would be a good time to stock up, if one were so inclined...

So then will we have three different categories of Cuban Cigars on the market?

Pre-embargo
During-the-embargo
Post-embargo

Then I suppose the next amusing step will be about 5-6 years after the embargo ends, all the vendors will be having all these specials on "Aged and Vintage" stock from the cigars that were rolled right after the embargo ended. Kind of like all the specials that can be had right now on '00 and '01 stock. :sign:

I could see Obama ending the embargo...McCain not so much however. It would be nice not having to drive to Canada for smokes.
With our taxes up here, especially in Ontario where I am,. I wish there was a place I could drive to to get ISOM's at a fair price! :laugh:

Just heard on the news that Raul Castro has allowed the farmers that lost their farms in the last hurricane to own private lands to get production of food on the upswing. That was one of the first things he promised when he took over for Fidel. Not sure what that means but it's a step in the right direction. :sign:

What will be interesting to see is how the NC companies take Cuban tobacco and blend it with other tobaccos from Nicaragua, DR, etc...

Absolutely. Imagine the blends Pete Johnson or DPG might come up with . . . :thumbs:

~Boar

DPG does the blends for Pete Johnson, heh.

Heh indeed!

My first noobie correction . . . I'm honored. I think. :blush:

I knew he did SOME but didn't realize he did all of them.

~Boar

Take it more as a tip than a correction, from one newbie to another, hehe. As far as I know Pepin does all of them, and has from the start.

Take it more as a tip than a correction, from one newbie to another, hehe. As far as I know Pepin does all of them, and has from the start.
Hey!! Stop hassling the "new" guy Joe Joe! :p

I think we will see the end of the Embargo in most of our lifetimes. Somehow I don't believe it will end within the next 5 years, but I can see it somewhere in the ballpark of 8-10 years. Like Tom has wisely said, when the Embargo ends, we will see a huge influx of demand for them and quality will go down while pricing will rise slowly but surely. Not enough of a price increase for most of us to say, "Hey, wait a minute! That's too expensive!" But enough for us in 2 years to say, "Remember when Cohibas were XX price?? Now they're XXX price!!"

I'm just glad I am an NC whore! :D

Im not sure if this was mentioned, but Obama stated he would lift "portions" of the embargo, while McCain/ Bush mentioned they would not lift it until cubans had the right to express themselves freely. I don't want to get into political discussion, in fact, we should avoid it. But I don't feel we will see cc's in the american market or on our store shelves anytime soon.

Not to mention, I think there was a post about this, or a relevant article in the cc lounge, where this thread should probably be located.