• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sopranos Edition

DevilsMilk

8-5-8, 8-9-8, whatever it takes!
Ok so about two to three weeks ago I picked up the smaller version of the Soprano cigar due to all the hype. I must say I was sadly dissapointed.

The cigar burned well all the way to the end, I will give it that.

The ash fell in my lap witin less than a half inch burn to it. (Not good in my book)

Then the taste.

First quarter tasted really harsh even though it was lit with a torch lighter, I blew out, and let it sit for a minute.

2nd quarter tasted really spicy ( I liked this part)

3rd quarter was again harsh

the last 2 -3 inches was a mixture between harsh to sweet (sorta bounced back and forth).

I would put this cigar in the same category as the La Aurora 100 Anos.

I do have 1 more in the humidor I bought 2 days ago I will give more rest and give it another try. I always test new cigars in pairs just in case first one was just a bad cigar. I have had bad A.F. Flor Fina 8-5-8 SG's before but yet its still considered my all time favorite.

:)

Eh, I've heard mixed things about those...I'm a CAO fan but I'm not all that interested in trying the Soprano, and your review only reenforces that I think. Seems to me those cigars are not much more than marketing the "Sopranos" name on the cigars perhaps to appeal to those who watch the show in order to introduce them to CAO. Who knows. Still love CAO though :)

DevilsMilk said:

[snapback]267292[/snapback]​

Don't put this cigar in the category of Cien Anos...Don't. No CAO has ever come close to the Cien Anos...just not very many good CAO's, IMHO. But I guess that's why there are different cigar brands...for those of us with different palettes! :thumbs:

-Fetter

I have a couple of the Sopranos "The Boss" Belicosos that I will have to fire up and post about.

emodx said:
Uh, let it dry out first?
[snapback]267296[/snapback]​

I'm not sure how dry it could be its been sitting in my humi which I keep at 62-65% constant for about three weeks. I understand they are fresh from CAO and have had smokes burn like that before from the store. Should I get a dry box?

Jeff B. said:
Eh, I've heard mixed things about those...I'm a CAO fan but I'm not all that interested in trying the Soprano, and your review only reenforces that I think. Seems to me those cigars are not much more than marketing the "Sopranos" name on the cigars perhaps to appeal to those who watch the show in order to introduce them to CAO. Who knows. Still love CAO though :)
[snapback]267301[/snapback]​

Don't stop yourself from trying them. I have onemore in the Humidor I plan on trying. I have never gone off someone elses review and used it from keeping me from trying a new cigar. Give it a shot.

fetterjohn said:
DevilsMilk said:

[snapback]267292[/snapback]​

Don't put this cigar in the category of Cien Anos...Don't. No CAO has ever come close to the Cien Anos...just not very many good CAO's, IMHO. But I guess that's why there are different cigar brands...for those of us with different palettes! :thumbs:

-Fetter
[snapback]267307[/snapback]​

Fetter,

I was not trying to put them in the same class of smokes only trying to say my experience with the taste where similar. They both had a harsh/bitter taste to them. Both cigars I have only tried once and plan on trying at least 1 more time.

I have yet to smoke a CAO that "floated my boat". Good, yes, but IMHO a Padron 2K / 3K beats 'em every time. Got a CAO L'Anniversaire Maduro in the humi that I was gifted by a BOTL I work with but I just can't get "excited" about smoking it. I want to give it an objective try when I get around to it and frankly I'm more or less put off by the whole line....

My $00.02 - B.B.S.

I saw the Soprano in the store the other day and passed it up. CAO doesn't really do it for me. From time to time I'll smoke the cameroon as an early morning smoke.

The Sopranos was ok imo, I had the boss. It had good flavor through out with a good draw but it seemed a bit mild to me actually. I didn't get to finish the entire thing due to time restrains but got a good ¾’s out of it. For the price on em I would say the Cx2 is by far better but with some humi time I bet it will be a great smoke.

DevilsMilk said:
Fetter,

I was not trying to put them in the same class of smokes only trying to say my experience with the taste where similar. They both had a harsh/bitter taste to them. Both cigars I have only tried once and plan on trying at least 1 more time.
[snapback]267478[/snapback]​

DevilsMilk,

I was only bustin' your balls...my second favorite line is La Aurora, so I gotta say it. But do give the Cien Anos another try...with some age on them they are fantastic.

-Fetter

I tried the Boss the other day and I must say I didn't find it unpleasant at all. Granted, I have quite an inexperienced pallette, but it was satisfactory at the price I paid (gifted from friend).

I didn't find the harshness described earlier and I thought it to be quite uneventful, really. Not unpleasant, but nothing special and certainly not something I would purchase at the price point they are at right now.

I do enjoy some others in the CAO line (especially the Criollo and the Brazilia), but this one didn't really do it for me.

fetterjohn said:
DevilsMilk said:
Fetter,

[snapback]267478[/snapback]​

DevilsMilk,

I was only bustin' your balls...my second favorite line is La Aurora, so I gotta say it. But do give the Cien Anos another try...with some age on them they are fantastic.

-Fetter
[snapback]267740[/snapback]​

Fetter,

I wil definately give it a try again. I have found if the first one was not to your liking it may have been because of other factors such as what I ate, drank, current health, etc... So yeah I will definately try them again. Thanks.

JimK said:
Sorry to hear that Brad. I was thinking about getting some, so that's a good heads up for me.

JK
[snapback]267795[/snapback]​

Jim,

I say its still definately worth a try. :)

Back