• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sources for Large sheets of cedar?

Gunpowder

Cigar Search & destroy V 1.20
I am working on restoring a china cabinet that was my great grandmothers. I think I will need some large sheets of cedar say 3' x 3' for the back/ 2' x 3' for the sides. Any ideas. Also, without searching, has anyone else done this?

I have questions on methods for sealing the door also.

I am doing with the restoration with the help of delarob.

Make your life simple and use 1/4" genuine mahogany furniture grade plywood. Thats typical of most cabinets you can buy.

Alternative is to pay a shop to create sp cedar panels in the sizes you want...

ArlinLiss said:
Make your life simple and use 1/4" genuine mahogany furniture grade plywood. Thats typical of most cabinets you can buy.

And you can take that advice to the bank :thumbs: Good to see you posting Arlin.

Arlin's site

ArlinLiss said:

Edited after looking at your website.

I assume you are puting Mahogony inside your creations. I doubt there is a need to do that in a conversion then as the Mahogony wouldn't have the same characteristics of the sp. cedar? As long as all seems are sealed I would think building some cedar slat shelves would be good enough.

I was concerned that there wouldn't be enough cedar inside. It would be much easier to just seal the inside corners with an appropriate caulk/sealant and be done.

I assume you are puting Mahogony inside your creations.

Generally I provide a 'floating liner of Spanish Cedar' in cabinets as well as desktops. My Humidors ARE NOT like most

Benefit of using 1/4" veneer is that is is STABLE and relatively cheap. It will mask and cover over lots of boo boo's and flaws . You can conceal/seal the seams with molding.

You can have lots of aroma from Sp Cedar on shelves etc..

I got some red cedar and white trees in the woods in the back of my house..... :sign:

Bring a chain saw and we'll haul them down to the local sawmill :p

Yes, mahog is great, if you are stocking the himi with Cedar Boxes stuffed with cigars anyway, you will have plenty of Cedar, therfore Mahogony would be a great material for lining a Cabinet, or for that matter, Building from scratch (my long range plans, if I ever need the room)