• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Southern Cedar as opposed to Spanish Cedar?

gaspagoo

Genetics & Bad Decisions
Today I bought an ice chest in order to get started on my coolerdor. There is a local cigar chop that recently installed a walk in humidor along with several closet style ones. The wood that they used seemed different from spanish cedar.

I would like to find a local source for Spanish Cedar, so I called this shop to see what they used and if it was Spanish Cedar where did they get it. The fella told me that he used Southern Cedar. Apparently he researched with several outfits prior to construction.

My question is are any of y'all familiar with Southern Cedar and it's effects on cigars (humidity control, taste, etc.)?

NEVER use anything but Spanish Cedar, it's humidity retention qualities and subtle aromatic qualities are what makes it best. during the Cigar BOOM of the 90's there were many a B&M that took short cuts :0 , like using Souther Cedar, also known as Tennessee Cedar, it ruined many a cigar stock, making the sticks smell weird :angry: and soft. Tennessee Cedar is way too aromatic and does NOT hold the proper RH, I've even seen it as chip board. Tennessee Cedar is great for closets where you have moths and bugs. If you have a Rockler closeby they'll have some as should any real lumber store.

If you have a Rockler closeby they'll have some as should any real lumber store.

I have been looking all over the place for Spanish Cedar. Why didn't I think to check with Rockler. Thanks man...

Hmm, never heard of Southern Cedar.
But, according to Wikipedia.com, Spanish Cedar isn't even cedar at all, so just because the wood in question is a cedar, it doesn't mean it has similar properties to Spanish Cedar.

Infact, the second best choice for wood in humidors would most likely be mahogany.

Spanish cedar is neither Spanish or cedar. It is a species of Mahogany.

Doc.

Thanks all.

It didn't sound like a good idea to me based on what I have read in the past, but I am glad to have so many smokers at my finger tips to give me "real" advice and feedback.

Much appreciation. :D