• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Spanish cedar or Mahogany

StonyVision

Well i plan on making a humidor and ive seen several posts on the fact that any good humidor is made from spanish cedar but ive also seen a select few that are made from Mahogany? Dose any one know if its a good wood to use as opposed to the spanish cedar?

Honduran mahogany is perfectly exceptable to use in building a humidor. If you are building a large one I would recommend using Honduran mahogany plywood to line the inside and Spanish cedar for the shelves. All Spanish Cedar would be overbearing. The Honduran mahogany works excellent and has a bit milder aroma.

I'm somewhat amazed at the suggestions from those that are steering you away from mahogany. Almost all cigar cabinet builders use Honduran mahogany.

Here's a pic of mine before staining and adding the front facing....... everything you see is Honduran mahogany.

1682.jpg

rknicker said:
The mahogany has to be in reference to the exterior.
nope... cedar adds a scent/flavor to cigars, mahogany is neutral. All depends on what you like.

Allofus123 said:
Honduran mahogany is perfectly exceptable to use in building a humidor. If you are building a large one I would recommend using Honduran mahogany plywood to line the inside and Spanish cedar for the shelves. All Spanish Cedar would be overbearing. The Honduran mahogany works excellent and has a bit milder aroma.

I'm somewhat amazed at the suggestions from those that are steering you away from mahogany. Almost all cigar cabinet builders use Honduran mahogany.

Here's a pic of mine before staining and adding the front facing....... everything you see is Honduran mahogany.

1682.jpg
This is Kenny's SMALL humi :0

Ya oughta see his BIG one :D

Humi that is........