• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Spanish-suit Card Deck

TampaSupremo

Hellbent for Glory-land
Hey all,

I was not aware (and this may be one of those "how did he not know that?" instances) that other countries in the world did not use the same playing cards that are so popular here (52+2 jokers). I was messing around on the interweb and discovered Spanish card decks. Spanish decks use the following suits: bastos-clubs, oros-coins (literally: "golds"), copas-cups, and espadas-swords and consist of 40 or 50 cards. In the 40-card deck the 8's and 9's are omitted. They are present in the 50-card deck which I believe also includes two joker-type cards comodines. Here are some examples of Spanish-suited decks. They have a fancier appearance than the ones we are used to. I ordered a deck of 50 plastic (not plastic coated, although they are available) cards made by Spanish manufacturer Fournier tonight and thought I'd share this interesting info (about the decks, not me buying one). Fournier has a list of rules for games that use Spanish decks.

Just putting it out there...Enjoy!!!

TampaSupremo

One of the French Army guys here taught a few of us to play Tarot one night while smoking cigars. The suits are the same, but there's one extra type of cards called "atout". There's no Ace, instead they have Jack, Knight, Queen and King cards (with French names of course).

The game was fun. Similar to Spades or Euchre in that you have to follow suit, had trump cards, etc. There were a lot of little rules you had to pick up on and scoring was a major PITA. :D Was neat to learn, though.

Just putting that out there, too. :)

300px-Tarots_cards_deal.jpg

One of the French Army guys here taught a few of us to play Tarot one night while smoking cigars. The suits are the same, but there's one extra type of cards called "atout". There's no Ace, instead they have Jack, Knight, Queen and King cards (with French names of course).

The game was fun. Similar to Spades or Euchre in that you have to follow suit, had trump cards, etc. There were a lot of little rules you had to pick up on and scoring was a major PITA. :D Was neat to learn, though.

Just putting that out there, too. :)

300px-Tarots_cards_deal.jpg
They'll never make in Vegas! :whistling:

How did you not know that?

:sign: :laugh:

Couldn't resist.

the spanish cards are actually a game we play in Puerto Rico called Brisca's (spelling is probably wrong) and it too was more like spades, where certain cards trump others and you have like the two cards that can kill anything.
its fun

the spanish cards are actually a game we play in Puerto Rico called Brisca's (spelling is probably wrong) and it too was more like spades, where certain cards trump others and you have like the two cards that can kill anything.
its fun

Briscas is correct. Although I prefer dominoes.

Well, I got my -deck- a couple of days ago and learned how to play briscas. I have to admit, reading about how to play cards is sorta tricky so I hit the youtube and figured it out. There is a video there from http://www.playbriscas.com/ which was helpful. My wife and I played for a while and it was fun telling her about the cards. She went to bed and I stayed up playing online. I need to try to get some of our friends together because this appears to be one of those games that's a lot more fun when it's played in a group. Anyway, I can see this deck leading to games that are a nice change of pace from the average card games.

That tarot deck looks pretty intimidating, JHolmes763. Nice looking cards though. That was part of the allure of the Spanish deck to me. I might have to jump on that bandwagon too (although I wonder who the hell I'm going to get to play with me).

While we are on the subject of games, can anyone recommend a nice but playable set of dominoes that are US-made?

TampaSupremo