• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sport Bike

inflatus

GURPS
I am seriously considering buying a sport bike. I have been leaning towards to the Buell Blast. About 10 years ago I had a CBR. I have not rode a bike since then, so I am keeping my displacement in the 500-700 range. I really just want to get a bike that I can commute to work with and have a great ride on weekends in southern California.

So if you could buy a bike again what would get?!

deffinetly not a blast.... maybe an an sv650 would be a better bike for ya.

I can tell you this. The Buell Blast would be the last thing on my list if I was you. It's way underpowered and not very reliable, as I recall. I'd seriously consider one of the following bikes, in no particular order:

Honda
Interceptor

Yamaha
FZ1
FZ6
YZF-R6S

Kawasaki
Z1000

Suzuki
SV1000
SV650

I know you said you want to keep your displacement low which is why most of the bikes that are larger than 700cc are v-twins or detuned inline fours. None of these bikes is insanely fast.

The Honda Interceptor would be a fantastic bike. It looks sporty, it has a good amount of torque for getting through traffic, is very mellow to ride, and it's been in production for years. It would be easy to pick up a leftover or used model for a decent price. The ergos are relaxed, too. It's a very comfortable ride.

There is quite a bit of room in the "sport bike" category for specific types of riding.

I have owned several big street bikes in the sport bike category. They were all a blast to ride in their element.

Generally, the bigger bikes (1000cc+) are a fun way to burn a Sunday morning, but can be tedious for commuting, particularly around town. My last bike (a Kawasaki ZX1000) was scary fast and could accelerate like the space shuttle (not as fast off the line as some, but the bike had a bottomless throttle and would pull hard in any gear at any speed). Mostly I used it to commute with..it kind of sucked around town in traffic. It was big and heavy (I'm 6' 1" and 210lbs) and got away from me twice at stop lights when I put my foot down in a greasy spot. It was fun though and would pull power wheelies in 2nd gear.

By the time I hit 40, the "crouching" position just wasn't that comfortable anymore and the bike started to sit in the garage more and more. Eventually, I sold it (and bought a boat, but that's another post).

Bikes are like shoes...easy to buy a pair that feel ok in the store, but hurt your feet like crazy after a day or two. Before you buy, think about how much time you plan to spend in that position. It also matters if you are out having fun, riding with your buddies or just putting in your time on the way to work.

The 650-750 size is easier to manage around town. I'm a big fan of the SV bikes from Suzuki. I think they are cool looking (not everybody will agree, for sure). I also like "dual-purpose" bikes. For carving your way through traffic, you can't beat agility.

Most sport bikes bought for fun, end up sitting in the garage after a month or two. I drove my ZX for a couple of years and then it started to sit....I felt a little guilty about having that money tied up in something that wasn't getting any use when the family could be enjoying it (if we did something else with it...that's how we ended up being boat owners).

Good luck! Post a pic when you decide.