• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sports History Contest

CalixEros

Big Building Builder
OK, the winner of this contest will receive the box that the H. Upmann 160th Anniversary #2 cigars came in. This box is brand new other than opening it to take the cigars out. It looks like this:
http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDis...tem=CS-6H&cat=3
They really are humidor quality. It makes a nice whoosh when it shuts and had 3 spanish cedar trays in it. I picked these up yesterday from a B&M that unfortunately is going out of business to help them out and help you guys out. I will throw some smokes in there to get your new humidor started.

1. Mat Mladin has won 6 out of the last 7 superbike championships. Who was the champion the year he didn't win and what year was it?

2. The Michigan Wolverines have had the highest average attendance for 31 out of the last 32 seasons in NCAA football. What team and year did the Wolverines fail to hold the highest attendance and when was the last time the Wolverines had a single home game attendance under 100,000 people?

3. When was the last time two MLB pitchers threw no hitters on the same day and who were the pitchers?

4. Who holds the record for highest career penalty minutes in the NHL and how many does he have?

5. What pool trick shot artist is famous for the use of his boot in some of his trick shots and when was the last time he was ESPN's Trick Shot Magic Champion?

6. Vince Young was the MVP in this and last years high scoring Rose Bowls. Who are the 2 other players who won back to back MVP's and what was the lowest scoring game in Rose Bowl history (teams, year, and score)?

There are 2 rules
1. I determine the winner
2. Don't complain about the rules or you'll be DQ'd :p

Edit: There's a bonus question. What is my favorite NFL football team? If you get the bonus right, I'll double the cigars that go into the humi.

CalixEros said:
OK, the winner of this contest will receive the box that the H. Upmann 160th Anniversary #2 cigars came in. This box is brand new other than opening it to take the cigars out. It looks like this:
http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDis...tem=CS-6H&cat=3
They really are humidor quality. It makes a nice whoosh when it shuts and had 3 spanish cedar trays in it. I picked these up yesterday from a B&M that unfortunately is going out of business to help them out and help you guys out. I will throw some smokes in there to get your new humidor started.

1. Mat Mladin has won 6 out of the last 7 superbike championships. Who was the champion the year he didn't win and what year was it?

2002 Nicky Hayden

2. The Michigan Wolverines have had the highest average attendance for 31 out of the last 32 seasons in NCAA football. What team and year did the Wolverines fail to hold the highest attendance and when was the last time the Wolverines had a single home game attendance under 100,000 people?

The last time Michigan did not have 100,000 in attendance in Michigan Stadium was on October 25, 1975 vs. Indiana

3. When was the last time two MLB pitchers threw no hitters on the same day and who were the pitchers?

June 29, 1990 it happened before April 22, 1898

4. Who holds the record for highest career penalty minutes in the NHL and how many does he have?

Dave Williams: 3966

5. What pool trick shot artist is famous for the use of his boot in some of his trick shots and when was the last time he was ESPN's Trick Shot Magic Champion?

Pat Holz

6. Vince Young was the MVP in this and last years high scoring Rose Bowls. Who are the 2 other players who won back to back MVP's and what was the lowest scoring game in Rose Bowl history (teams, year, and score)?

Ron Dayne 1999, 2000
Charles White 1979, 1980

1922 California 0 Washington & Jefferson 0

There are 2 rules
1. I determine the winner
2. Don't complain about the rules or you'll be DQ'd :p

Edit: There's a bonus question. What is my favorite NFL football team? If you get the bonus right, I'll double the cigars that go into the humi.
[snapback]272401[/snapback]​

Nice question!! #69!!!

I've got some super high resolution pictures of Nicky Hayden from Laguna Seca this year if anyone is interested. I can email them to you.

Close Gandolph, but not quite right.

Laguna Seca? That seems like a long way to go when VIR and Road Atlanta are right down the road from you. Did you make it to any other races this past year? I went down to Road Atlanta for the championship. Suzuki gave out free tickets, pit passes, food, shirt, etc. to Suzuki owners. I try to make it to at least one race a year, depending on where I'm living at the time.

I'll change my answer on #5 to Chris Melling, and I'll guess 2004 was the last championship... Hard question.

Mat Mladin has won 6 out of the last 7 superbike championships. Who was the champion the year he didn't win and what year was it?

2002 Nicky Hayden

1997 Tennessee VOls
The last time Michigan did not have 100,000 in attendance in Michigan Stadium was on October 25, 1975 vs. Indiana

June 29, 1990 Dave Stewart and Fernando Valenzuela

M. Massey 2004

Ron Dayne 1999, 2000
Charles White 1979, 1980
Rob Schloredt 1979-1980

Fave football team Redkins?

2002 Nicky Hayden

1997 Tennessee VOls

M. Massey 2004

Ron Dayne 1999, 2000
Charles White 1979, 1980
Rob Schloredt 1979-1980

Fave football team Buffalo Bills!

AVB said:

2002 Nicky Hayden

1997 Tennessee VOls

M. Massey 2004

Ron Dayne 1999, 2000
Charles White 1979, 1980
Rob Schloredt 1979-1980

Fave football team Buffalo Bills!
[snapback]272451[/snapback]​
Oh, you suck!!! Do yer own damn research!!!

I'll change my answer on #5 to Chris Melling, 2003.

Congratulations, we have a winner!

Emo and AVB got the 6 questions right. No. 6 I screwed up, I didn't realize Bob Schloredt was MVP in 1960 and 1961, I only knew Ron Dayne and Charles White. However, my favorite team is the Buffalo Bills, as guessed by AVB. Since it was just the bonus question for extra smokes, Emo wins the box/humi and AVB will get the consolation Phillies and Dutchmasters. Gentlemen, please PM me your addresses and they'll go out tomorrow. I also noticed we're closing in on your 100th birthday AVB, congrats! :p By the way, how'd you guess the Bills?

I did for the first 4. Why re-invent the wheel; I got the Bills from my research didn't I?

emodx said:
[snapback]272455[/snapback]​

I'ma long time Bills fans and you did indicate you liked them before.
Congrats Emo!

CalixEros said:
Congratulations, we have a winner!

By the way, how'd you guess the Bills?
[snapback]272467[/snapback]​

emodx said:
#5 was the hardest question, as far as the year goes.
[snapback]272456[/snapback]​

If you type "mike massey espn trick shot magic" into google the first page will tell you he just won in 2004, but you'd have to find out elsewhere that he lost in the first round in '05.

AVB said:
I did for the first 4. Why re-invent the wheel; I got the Bills from my research didn't I?

emodx said:
[snapback]272455[/snapback]​
[snapback]272469[/snapback]​
Fuggin Officers always taking the glory from the hard work of an Enlisted man. Being prior enlisted AVB, you should know better than that. Well, go figure, a Coastie beating a Leatherneck to the punch. LMAO!

Emo

I think the difference can be attributed to dial-up vs. broadband :whistling:

emodx said:
Well, go figure, a Coastie beating a Leatherneck to the punch. LMAO!

Emo
[snapback]272475[/snapback]​

Where in the hell did you guys find the answer to #5. When I searched for it I got that Pat Holz invented the trick and then Chris Melling won the deal using Pat's trick the next year. (maybe it wassn't ESPN's thing though...) I never saw Massey mentioned in my search until I specifically looked for him.

Interesting to note that in 1979 and 1980 the Rose Bowly had co-MVP's. (I missed that)

Great contest! Tough tough questions.

gandolf565 said:
Where in the hell did you guys find the answer to #5. When I searched for it I got that Pat Holz invented the trick and then Chris Melling won the deal using Pat's trick the next year. (maybe it wassn't ESPN's thing though...) I never saw Massey mentioned in my search until I specifically looked for him.

Interesting to note that in 1979 and 1980 the Rose Bowly had co-MVP's. (I missed that)

Great contest! Tough tough questions.
[snapback]272478[/snapback]​
As far as the Massey question goes, you are on to something. I know he used the trick, and I knew the last time he won the championship. What I didn't know was if he invented the trick or if he was actually the first one to use it in a championship type of game. The key was finding out who had won the ESPN Trik Shots and then going from there.
Emo

AVB said:
I think the difference can be attributed to dial-up vs. broadband :whistling:

emodx said:
Well, go figure, a Coastie beating a Leatherneck to the punch. LMAO!

Emo
[snapback]272475[/snapback]​
[snapback]272476[/snapback]​
Aren't you a computer nerd fixing computers and such? I guess the money you save on dial-up vs. broadband goes to the cigars and scotch... ;)

Emo

This contest was pretty challanging to dig up the info. Some of them were easy, but actually finding the documentation was hard. Thank you for hosting a kick ass contest! I had a blast!

Emo