• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Starter scotch?

IrishSaint

What is a good scotch for a newb to acquire the taste with? I'm a beer lover and a frequent drinker of Jamison but am trying to enjoy scotch. I picked up a bottle of 12 year old Glenmorangie sherry-wood cask and while I kinda like it, I don't love it. Any recommendations on where to start?

Glenmorangie 12 is really good, but it's got what I think of as a peppery taste to it that IMO does not lend itself to being a good "starter" scotch. Try Balvenie Doublewood or Macallan 12. They're both a great place to start and they're also finished in Sherry casks.

Was it the Sherry wood finish, or the Lasanta? The Lasanta is the newer version of Glenmorangie's sherried expression. I prefer the Sherry wood finish, but it's pretty difficult to find at this point.

Just drink whatever until it tastes good. Repeat as necessary.

Doc.

The first scotch I drank was The Macallan 18 Years. My go to drink now with a cigar

Ed

They sell starter scotch at thousands of locations around the country; here it is about $1.87 per gallon :whistling:

Look through the Reviews that AVB has done, they are a good place to gain some insight on what is what in the world of Scotch.

I started with the Balvenie Doublewood, it was pretty good, but tit was my first other than some Chivas Regal.

Now that I think about it, I am due for a new bottle.

Tim

AVB would recommend The Balvenie Doublewood. I took that recommendation and found it to be an excellent choice for my first.

AVB would recommend The Balvenie Doublewood. I took that recommendation and found it to be an excellent choice for my first.

X2, that's good stuff. I picked up a bottle of this for my boss for Christmas last year and he's still raving about it. While he enjoys his scotch, he's not usually a frequent drinker. With the doublewood, I don't believe the bottle I gave him lasted the weekend. :laugh:

A quick tip from a fellow scotch newbie, cut it with a little melted ice or some water at first, especially if you're typically more of a whiskey or bourbon drinker like myself. Then gradually work your way up to drinking it neat.

Look through the Reviews that AVB has done, they are a good place to gain some insight on what is what in the world of Scotch.

I started with the Balvenie Doublewood, it was pretty good, but tit was my first other than some Chivas Regal.

Tim

I thought we were talking about scotch but what the hell, tit goes good with anything!

:laugh:

x3 on the Balvenie Doublewood. It is excellent. I'm also a fan of Macallan 12yr and Dalmore 12yr.

Tim

I thought we were talking about scotch but what the hell, tit goes good with anything!

:laugh:

Hey, it is almost 3am here, I can talk about tit if I want too....

Tim

X however many it is now on the Balvenie Doublewood. Fantastic Scotch.

However, my go-to Scotch is still a blended/vatted one: Johnny Walker Black Label. If you don't like JWB . . . well, you'll just never like Scotch! :cool:

~Boar

I've got you guys trained so well you don't need me any more :p

Thanks for all the replys, I know what I'll be picking up on my next trip to the liquor store.

Thanks for all the replys, I know what I'll be picking up on my next trip to the liquor store.

Balvenie Doublewood is absolutely a great scotch. I call it a highbred scotch, it's a sherry speyside, but it has a great islay type of peat to it. But not like a highland, more like an island scotch like JW.

Anyway, it's smooth and very well priced and just has a great flavor all the way around.

But there are a couple of other recommendations I would have.

If you are looking at blended, I would recommend; Dewars, JW and Chivas.

If you are looking at single malt, I would also recommend Glenlivet and Glenfiddich.

Dave

I am a jameson drinker myself and when i tried JW Black i didnt like it but my coworker gave me Macallan 12yr and man did i like that. Very tasty and i since i just started drinking scotch, that it is a good starter.

I just bought me a Chivas Regal 18 yo Gold Signature. Goes down like silk