• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

State by state distribution

CigarStone

For once, knowledge is making me poor!
I thought it might be helpful to know what states have good and bad distribution laws so that if people travel they can plan to take advantage.

For instance, Ohio's laws are so utterly foolish it's bazaar! The state doesn't permit the distribution of 90% of the good bourbons and the OHLQ web site is a mess!

I would love to know what states are good so I can stop and grab something good.

Drive to Kentucky stop at all the distilleries you can in a weekend do the tasting they offer buy a bottle at each place and head home. We did that once I still have some bottles.

Drive to Kentucky stop at all the distilleries you can in a weekend do the tasting they offer buy a bottle at each place and head home. We did that once I still have some bottles.
Holy shit Brian! You forgot two steps.

Drive to Kentucky stop at all the distilleries you can in a weekend do the tasting they offer buy a bottle at each place, get a hotel room for three of four days, head home, file for bankruptcy.

Michigan has a great variety and they availability has been good by comparison of what I have read here. But they do not have any fixed value laws so pricing can be unreasonable at times. The Michigan state liquor commission has the blue book for what is available. I will see if I can find it.

Pennsylvania, is state run depends on what area you are in. You will be hard pressed to find any of the "rarer" stuff.

Holy shit Brian! You forgot two steps.

Drive to Kentucky stop at all the distilleries you can in a weekend do the tasting they offer buy a bottle at each place, get a hotel room for three of four days, head home, file for bankruptcy.
You’re not wrong on those steps being left out, BUT:

1) if you head to the bourbon trail get a number of us to go with you. Share the experience, cut the purchase cost;
2) if you actually wind your way south to the fertile liquor territory of Northern Kentucky, I will be your tour guide to one of the best nights of drinking the good stuff that you could imagine!

But, I am sure Northern Ohio has some good qualities too…

You’re not wrong on those steps being left out, BUT:

1) if you head to the bourbon trail get a number of us to go with you. Share the experience, cut the purchase cost;
2) if you actually wind your way south to the fertile liquor territory of Northern Kentucky, I will be your tour guide to one of the best nights of drinking the good stuff that you could imagine!

But, I am sure Northern Ohio has some good qualities too…
No it doesn't.

Pennsylvania, is state run depends on what area you are in. You will be hard pressed to find any of the "rarer" stuff.
And they are not very consumer friendly. I wanted some "John Wayne" bourbon for a friends birthday. They had it in the warehouse across town. Said next delivery was in 2 weeks or they would FedEx it for $60 !

Connecticut is odd but workable. Each brand and type has to be submitted to the Dept. of Consumer Affairs for an assay. (e.g. all the different varietals of Glenmorangie you want to sell.) I am told it costs about $10,000 a label to sell it. We have State minimum pricing. And the most stores one person or corporation can own is two. (Costco only has two for the whole state.) If you have one attached to a food store they must have separate entrances and a physical barrier separating them. (Costco uses chain link fencing).

Connecticut is odd but workable. Each brand and type has to be submitted to the Dept. of Consumer Affairs for an assay. (e.g. all the different varietals of Glenmorangie you want to sell.) I am told it costs about $10,000 a label to sell it. We have State minimum pricing. And the most stores one person or corporation can own is two. (Costco only has two for the whole state.) If you have one attached to a food store they must have separate entrances and a physical barrier separating them. (Costco uses chain link fencing).
Liquor laws are the worst. Like a fence or having to go next door will keep me from making bad choices. Lol. I will spend all my money on all the bourbons either way. Here in CA pretty much any store that sells food has liquor for sale. It would be weird if they didn’t sell it. But it’s usually typical swill at the grocery stores. I’ve found blantons and some Weller at grocery stores but that’s few and far between. You usually have to go to the nicer liquor stores to get the harder to find stuff. One thing about CA though is I canT get any liquor shipped to me. So dumb. Beer and wine and cigars are fine but no liquor. Breweries can self distribute here though so that’s pretty cool

Liquor laws are certainly not easy to figure out. During the Pandemic, restaurants were allowed to sell drinks to go. But little guidance on what to sell them in. Painters tape across the top of the cup was acceptable (in the absence of any State guidance) but the straw through the hole was OK also, and how can you tell what is in the drink cup anyway. Now the Legislature is debating an "open container" law but as written, any unsealed container in an SUV woukd be cause for arrest. (So keep your straw and painters tape!)

It is my understanding that Illinois has a similar "Open Container" law. Since bourbon isn't usually consumed in one sitting, anytime you're taking a half empty bottle to a friends house, you are violating the law. And in Illinois, they'll screw ya sideways, every chance they get. In Missouri, as long as the driver isn't drinking, Kattie bar the door. And as I've said before, a cooler makes an awesome gun rest, when shooting from teh mobile deer stand! :cool:

Floyd T