• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Stem length and shape:

Holyvision

The most noobishly noobish noob
I did over a dozen searches (annoying with the flood control!) and couldn't find a relevant topic, yes even in the guides. I have never smoked a pipe, but one of my good friends does and I always thought his looked a little odd. I asked him what it was today and he said it was a "MacQueen Wizard" pipe.

Wizard_Z.jpg

15" length!

So, curiosity got the best of me, and here I am! I was just wondering, does the length and shape of the stem affect the smoke of the pipe? Curve vs Straight, short vs long? etc etc...

I was thinking about buying one, and like the looks of the curve a little better than the straight -- but does having a "lord of the rings" style longer-then-your-arm pipe actually do anything but add looks? My friends swears it enhances the flavor; but I thought I would ask some BOTL pros.

Thanks, and forgive the post, I try to read more and post less!
--Holy

I was just about to type a crude answer but I will step back from the gutter.

All things equal and considering my limited knowledge, the long stems allow the smoke to cool before entering the mouth vs a cigar. also a bent stem will help prevent a juicy aromatic from reaching the mouth.

The negative is that bent pipes and especially longer stemmed ones are very difficult to clean.

yea, you have way less chance of any sediment to pass through the pipe. (which shouldn't be an issue when you get used to smoking, and not sucking too hard).

Also, I think technically, the wizard is the shape of the bowl. the long stem is called a churchwarden. I could be wrong though.