• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Stonehaven....hard to smoke?

CigarStone

For once, knowledge is making me poor!
Like most things, when I do something I usually go all in. I bought a couple of bags of Stonehaven 11 or 12 years ago and then gave up pipe smoking for a long time. I have recently gotten back into it and I have tried Stonehaven numerous times with very little luck on the packing/burn. I was on a pipe forum for a while and the gents there concluded that Stonehaven was just plain persnickity! It smells so amazing and when you get a good puff it is comparable to none.

Has anyone figured out how to prep, pack, and smoke it?

No, it has been perfectly maintained but I understand that it is common for it to separate into little toothpicks upon rubbing. And I have communicated with a number of Esoterica whores who say it is just temperamental. I just wondered if anyone here has either had the same problem or if they have figured it out.

Personally, I'd let it dry out some more and see if that works. I don't remember having an issue with this tobacco. Now If you're talking about SG FVF that is a pita to keep lit no matter how long you have it out to dry.

I bought 2 8 oz bags of it in 2008 and opened one right then but still have most of it. I wasn't aware that my unopened bag was worth a lot of money and so I opened it a while back to jar it, ..........oh well.

Personally, I'd let it dry out some more and see if that works. I don't remember having an issue with this tobacco. Now If you're talking about SG FVF that is a pita to keep lit no matter how long you have it out to dry.
I went as far as to buy 60% and 72% Boveda packs and put some in each and still couldn't get it right. It's probably just me.:rolleyes:

I went as far as to buy 60% and 72% Boveda packs and put some in each and still couldn't get it right. It's probably just me.:rolleyes:

That's too moist.
Set a bowl's worth out for a few hours or even overnight to see how it smokes

That's too moist.
Set a bowl's worth out for a few hours or even overnight to see how it smokes
Have you had good luck with this? I have done this but still have little tobacco toothpicks which don't rub out very good and I don't want to mess with it. Out of the 16 ounces I bought I have smoked maybe 5 bowls. One was phenomenal and the rest were a struggle.

I will trade the rest for cigars.

Have you had good luck with this? I have done this but still have little tobacco toothpicks which don't rub out very good and I don't want to mess with it. Out of the 16 ounces I bought I have smoked maybe 5 bowls. One was phenomenal and the rest were a struggle.

I will trade the rest for cigars.

Can't say that I've ever had that blend, but some of my more difficult to burn experiences were remedied by setting out what I wanted to smoke until it got crispy.

Can't say that I've ever had that blend, but some of my more difficult to burn experiences were remedied by setting out what I wanted to smoke until it got crispy.
I do that with virtually anything I smoke. Some guys on the pipe smoking forum I frequent say they've figured it out and the tobacco toothpicks are normal. I know when it is right, it is heaven! When you open the jar, it literally smells good enough to eat!😍 But it's too valuable for me to play with.